Where are files stored in iOS?

Some context: I back up everything, especially work files. When I use iOS to create files, normally they are connected to iCloud. So the files get backed up to the iCloud, and in turn are backed up to my iMac, where previous versions are stored in TimeMachine. Then it’s all backed up offsite with BackBlaze.
It might sound like a lot but that’s pretty much par for the course when other people are paying for my work, I make sure a single failure on my end won’t wipe everything out.
I understand that iCloud is not yet supported, and I get that you have to prioritize features. But it seems like the files on my local device are not even available to the rest of iOS. The files are not visible under On My iPad in the Files app. Have I missed something? I’m a bit baffled here, besides file management it’s a really well thought out app.

1 Like

Stored locally and then exportable with PRO. If you could drag files off without pro, you’d think that would undermine a key benefit to having, well…PRO

Apple automatically backs up my iPad all the time. There’s more redundancy today than a pop-rock radio station

An import folder for objects & files specific to a project(s) would be awesome, however. But I’m sure that can be implemented on my own time…

1 Like

Do you mean that saved data is backed up to iCloud somehow? Otherwise how is it being backed up? My impression is that if my iPad is lost or stolen, all that data is lost, which seems absurd in a mobile ecosystem entirely built around cloud storage.

I do have the pro subscription - and I understand curtailing certain features for the free tier, but wouldn’t it make more sense to simply lock up the export functionality? It seems short sighted to hide the .shapr files that can only be opened in the app, especially extending this limitation to paying customers.

1 Like

You can export your files to the cloud. That’s what I do periodically. Somewhat of a hassle but it works.

If your iPad is stolen, hopefully the thief will not get past the home screen…

Best,

Tommy

it’s [Shapr3D & corresponding data] backed up depending on how you back up your iPad. Either on one of your many backup redundancies in your original post or in iCloud (if you use iCloud for backups on your apple devices).

That’s pretty much par for the course when other people are paying for your work. You export that bad boy, because… time is money and it sounds like you’re doing just fine sketching as a professional. The file doesn’t live a long fleshed-out life on the iPad anyway IMO; I’d want that work rendered and tweaked on my other MacBook apps…

If you sketch for free, are learning the app, doodling, exploring ideas… chances are no harm/no foul if something corrupts, because hey, it’s all on someone else’s dime, and your just auditing the app anyway. Meh.

When’s the last time an Apple product totally went belly up on me? …IDK, maybe an old iPod in '02. Maybe an an old Apple II…There’s never been a better time to work, sketch and have total confidence that the data is well & good.

Hi!
I just now changed my Ipad to new one, and all workspace come back from the icloud, with setting below:
Top on your name on general sttings/ icloud
On this page set on the iCloud backup and slide on the Shapr3D.
After on this page tap the “storage settings”(maybe wrong translate)image
Then tap backups/choose your device/ and slide on again the Shapr3D (here you can see the volume of the .shapr file )
You are ready now.

Brg
A.

I can’t seem to get this to work. Suggestions?

I recently upgraded my iPad, but didn’t even this to back up Shapr3D when I set up from scratch. As far as I can tell, this is the only piece of software that isn’t automatically recoverable.

My vote for a backup system in Shapr3D.

2 Likes

I really enjoy using Shapr3d, with the critical exception of file management. It doesn’t appear to be using any of the iCloud native APIs. This is baffling to me, given the app was born iOS-only.

What I’d like:

1. When a new design is created, automatically save to a default “Shapr3D” folder on iCloud.
  2. If not implementing #1, then provide a way automatically backup/export all .shapr files from my iPad in a single batch vs having to do it per design (through tedious file save dialogs). It would be better to do this automatically and remove the need for users to have to remember to do it periodically.

#1 is my understanding of how the vast majority of iOS-native apps with file creation work. The benefit is it entirely removes the need for users to manually export .shapr files, and perhaps the biggest benefit is switching between a Mac and iPad to work on the same design would be utterly seamless with zero manual effort.

Right now I have to periodically go into every design that’s been modified since my last manual export, go through multiple steps in the file dialog, then go to the next design and repeat. OR I have to remember to manually export the .shapr file every time I’m done modifying. This is simply not how I work… I pop in and made edits to different designs here and there and nothing else on my iPad requires any manual “save” steps, which makes it difficult to remember this old method of file management just for this single app.

I understand with the Windows beta out now that the company direction is changing to be cross-platform, but IMO that shouldn’t come at the expense of forcing iOS users to have to jump through manual hoops to protect their designs they’ve spent tens or even hundreds of hours on.

Side note: A full system backup, while better than nothing, is not a replacement for individual file backup. A system backup does nothing to improve switching between Mac and iPad for example.

+1. Well said.

1 Like

They’ve said that cloud syncing is on the roadmap. Since Shapr files can already be saved manually, it shouldn’t take too much to have it happen automatically.