16 gb ram or 8 ram on windows tablet?

I consider to buy a second 2 in 1 tablet, Dell latitude 7200, with cpu Intel i7, 8 th gen, the option :16 ram or 8 gb, with Intel uhd vga,
What should I pick? I want to see my design in VR (virtual reality), where with my iPad 3 GB of RAM, sometime it foce closed due to insufficient memory, then I consider to test dell but the vga just intel uhd graphic, which create a bottle neck, possibly 16 of RAM useless? Anyone has advice? Thank you very much.

I see it as processing speed, in my mind 8gb ram would suffice. I would not even think UHD. Put you money into graphics processing, I learned as far back as in the mid-90’s when I had my ATI OpenGL cards that it became a new world that really could handle 3D unlike before. Graphics is a world in it’s own category.

1 Like

Please note that AR from the app isn’t supported on Windows.

I would also not go with an 8th gen CPU as it’s quite outdated, and only has intergrated graphics.
If you still go this way, I would definitely go with the 16GB version, just to consider how much running several browser tabs also eat up.

1 Like

“Oh, is that so? I thought initially that AR on a Windows tablet could work. Currently, I use an iPad 9 for creating not-too-complex designs, and 3 GB of RAM has been sufficient so far. Now, I’m curious about how a Windows tablet with an i7 8th generation processor and 16 GB RAM would be superior compared to the iPad 9. If that’s the case, maybe I should save up to get the latest iPad Pro.”. The following, example of design I did with iPad 9, about 350 parts, with some thread (bolts and nuts), if I export it into AR, sometime succeed, but most are forced close… Meanwhile, so far, with those number of parts, I found no lag in creating 3d parts… Should I buy that windows tablet or just consider another better iPad?

Personally, I haven’t met a Windows running tablet that came anywhere close to the performance and battery life of recent, even few generations older the iPad Pros. Memory is the major limit of how much complexity you can get away with, as you also experience. I would aim for an M series one with 8GB RAM for now, but it really depends on your use case and complexity of the designs.

Most 2 in 1 solutions in reality are a combination of a best case mediocre laptop, and a mediocre tablet in terms of quality / usability. Most friends who tried them said they will never buy one, just go with a good Windows laptop, and / or an iPad.

4 Likes

I completely agree with Laci. I have an older Surface, not sure what gen the chip is inside, but the unit is about eight years old, has 8GB of RAM and it is horrible to do anything intensive on now. Windows 10 on that unit runs horrible because of the overhead required by the OS.

I also have the latest iPad Pro 12.9" (M2 chip) with the 1TB SSD and 16GB of RAM and nothing I can throw at it in Shapr3D, ProCreate or Lumafusion makes it choke. The iPad OS and the M2 chips are just so refined and purpose built for this stuff.

@Laci_K Laci, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t one of the the latest release events from Apple (can’t remember if it was an iPad or Macbook release) specifically mention design changes that made it work better with Shapr3D?

I’ve been a Windows guy since the 486 series of chips, but the operating systems Microsoft has been releasing lately have pushed me to start utilizing a Macbook and iPad in my personal life. Windows 11 is an abomination, IMO.

1 Like

I work with both of them, and have been on Windows / DOS since I was a kid (I had a Commodore 64, then on PC I started with a 386), imo all OS are good, just for different audience and purpose. For example gaming still pretty much non-existent on the Apple platform (Talking AAA gaming here, not mobile / copies of mobile games to desktop. Even the CS2 wasn’t developed to macs :frowning_face: ), though they are putting effort into it recently, we will see where it goes.

Apple didn’t improve anything specifically for us recently, last significant update that affected us positively was the introduction of Virtual memory in iPadOS 16 for M series devices, which made it possible to load around 30% bigger projects before crashing due to running out of memory.

1 Like

The gaming is a good point, but Baldur’s Gate 3 was just released for Mac and the new Macbook 3 supports ray tracing, so hopefully the games will come soon.

BG3 is great, but even on PC, it uses quite outdated API (DX 11), and while I like it’s graphics style, I wouldn’t consider it something state of the art. And it doesn’t need it. So it was likely relatively easy to port.

I’m waiting to see the ray tracing performance of M3s, just because it supports the technique it doesn’t mean it will perform well. (looking at RT performance of AMD vs Nvidia cards)
Also, games need to see a big enough market who are willing to buy them. If let’s say, 90% of mac users just don’t play, or prefer for example playing on a console when they actually do, it just doesn’t validate the investment to develop / port the game. Let’s not forget, in sheer numbers, the mac platform is much smaller than the Windows one.

I’m hoping they start releasing them though and I know there a lot of others hoping too. Don’t get me wrong, I still have my PC with a 3070Ti in it and an Xbox X if they don’t. It would be nice though and the new M3 chips are pretty powerful, but like you said, it remains to be seen if they can push the high framerates and quality that the consoles and PC can.