2D Drawing Dimension Formatting

Exporting a 2D Drawing on the iPad, using mm as the unit. I am finding that fractional units are being displayed with a comma, instead of a decimal point. I can’t seem to find a setting, to allow me to change this. It happens, even when using ANSI page sizes (though, I would expect to have the option to change this, irrespective of using ANSI/metric page sizes.

Am I missing the option, or is it not there?

4 Likes

The metric system uses commas instead of decimal points. That is the standard. The US bastardizes this standard when we use decimal points instead of commas.

Looking further, other countries mix metric and imperial standards for the decimal and comma.

1 Like

To my knowledge, the SI does not specify a specific decimal separator (if I am wrong, please cite a source); the difference is traditional/cultural, pre-dating the metric system. As you mentioned, not all metric-only/mostly nations have the same standards for this (for the aforementioned reason)

1 Like

Whatever SI says, the clients and makers I work with across the whole of Britain will not understand a comma separator because it’s also used to separate thousands.

Each country has its own standard so it would be very helpful/imperative to be able to option these factors.

2 Likes

Agreed. Clearly, this needs to be a configurable option, and I feel like it was just a mistake/oversight that it was neglected. It’s a new feature, so I can imagine we’ll get it fixed, soon. Can anybody from Shapr weigh in?

Bumping this post

Hi uber.geek et al,

Thank you for the feedback, and sorry for the late reply, meanwhile we already started to work on adding a solution for this to the Drawings tool. Based on our plan, you’ll be able to configure the thousands and decimal separators as you wish. I cannot add an exact estimation for its release, but it’s in the pipeline and will be available in the foreseeable future.

All the best,
Zoli

5 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Thats very good news zoltan. Thank you. And thanks uber.geek for persisting…!

2 Likes

Hey, Zoltan, hope you are doing well.

Do you know if there any updated release estimate for this fix?

Hi,

I confirm that this request is not forgotten and is on our roadmap. As creating Drawings is a new feature in Shapr3D we are dedicating time to collect all your input regarding similar customisation options (e.g. like setting custom line width) and we are planning to release these type of features together. To give a better estimate for your question you can expect the rollout of this particular feature around mid Autumn. If you have any other thoughts on this topic don’t hold them back.

1 Like

Thanks for the info :vulcan_salute:

Any further update on this? It is a standard part of Locale setting on. all operating systems…

3 Likes

Coming back to check on this as well. And also wanting to mention that it should be pretty straightforward, using localization/internationalization libraries/features (as opposed to some type of string mangling). Is there an expected timeframe for this? Thanks

Hi @zoltan.k_Shapr3D

Any updates on this? I love using Shapr3D but am currently forced to export to Fusion360 to make drawings just to have decimal points instead of commas.

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Any update on this? It’s Autumn 2022

1 Like

Update please? I cannot figure out how to make a decimal point. I thought the comma was a flaw in the system, until I realized that the two numbers after the comma were the same as my measurement.

This :point_up: Surely it’s just a case of paying attention to the system locale?

This apparently still hasn’t been fixed. Please fix this Shapr team. Please don’t assume that we’re all in Europe just because we’re using the metric system (which I assume is the origin of this bug).

Interestingly, this seems to be a case of the left hand and right hand not talking to each other internally at Shapr. Notice that the unit selector drop-down seems to acknowledge that a decimal format has a period as a separator, using “3.175” as the example. This is also true in the modeling mode, and sketching mode. Meanwhile, the drawing forces the use of a comma.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 12.37.44 PM

1 Like