5.300 - Maximize your efficiency with the new context menus

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry to ruin the celebration. The main reason I decided to go with Shapr3D is the rapid development of new features, so I welcome new releases with great expectations.

I was trying to get used to this, but unfortunately I really don’t find it helpful in my workflow. I believe I’m not the only one who’s suffering from it. For me this is a too major change to ignore, cause it extends my working times and frustration (that were never there) while using the application. It was much intuitive before that. It’s not just related to sketching, it’s all over the app usability.
As for new features, I would expect context menu to open tools and features that is related to the current workflow and would save time.

I really hope that my voice would count.

Hey Yuval,

Our users’ voice (including yours!) definitely counts. Believe me, even though we are excited about every single feature we release, we are just as excited about getting feedback from a wider audience and not just the smaller group of beta testers and even smaller group of people we show prototypes and early builds to.

I understand that you prefer a double-right click over space. Is there a particular reason for that, or it’s just that you got used to it?

You also mention two additional pieces of functionality that is is ruined by the context menu and I want to double check those:

1. exit/unselect during edits
  2. panning the drawing

I agree, these are useful shortcuts, and that’s why we took care to keep them: it should still be possible to exit sketch segments via a single right click and also to do view navigation via right-button click & drag, even while other tools are open. Are those not possible for you? If not, that’s a bug that we should fix, but it’d be a lot of help to see a short video recording of what’s going on with the tutorial mode items turned on in Preferences.

2 Likes

Hi,

The double-right click is thing I got used to, it was described in a help topic if I remember correctly. It also quicker cause the hand is always on the mouse.

I can pan with right button as it’s done by click and hold. No problems with that.
Exit/unselect with right-click is missing to me.

Thank you for your careful attention.

Hmm, that’s strange. It should be possible to cancel all operation that was possible to cancel before.

Could you perhaps record a short video about the issue with Tutorial mode turned on in Preferences? We could’ve missed something or something might be different in your setup.

I’ve been meaning to chime in on this.

I grew very accustomed with double clicking on surfaces to sketch as well (with my Wacom pen, set to double click with one click), and the context menu took its place.

I honestly didn’t realize until recently that the spacebar would initiate the sketch mode. I’ve been using the click method for as long as I can remember.

I think I can return to the same functionality by remapping some keys on my Wacom and Spacemouse, which I have yet to do. However many users probably don’t have that option.

I try to avoid my keyboard for most inputs if possible, and keep my hands on the Wacom/Spacemouse.

I really like the context menu, I just need to find a button to replace that action.

2 Likes

Here’s a short video with mouse clicks.

Thanks

Hey Nathan – I actually did have you in my mind when we were planning this :slight_smile: but I have to admit that the combination of SpaceMouse & Wacom pen is so rare (despite being great!) that it would’ve been foolish for us to design for that. What I usually do is to bind Space to one of the SpaceMouse buttons (if I’m not using the Enterprise model that has a built-in button for that).

1 Like

Thanks for the video, it’ll be helpful. However, I might be missing something but I still don’t understand what’s the functionality that you are missing or stopped working for you. Deselecting everything (either 3D objects or sketch items) is done via left clicking on an empty area, just as you’ve done it several times in the video. It’s still possible to do that with the left click and it has not changed. Right clicking never changed the selection state and it still does not.

As for the lack of useful functionality in the context menu: I hear you. This was just the first release, and we plan to rapidly expand its functionality in the coming months.

The most important and missing (to me) is the ability to enter sketch fast. I’ve never used the spacebar before to do so. If you rollback to previous version you can check what functionality the right button did in few scenarios.
I think maybe this functionality can still be achieved with double-click, because one-click opens the context menu. Or one right-mouse-click with Shift key or something else.

To be clear, I do welcome the context menu feature. That’s the first thing I looked for when I first used Shapr3D.

I really appreciate the effort and going through details you guys are doing. Shapr3D distinct from legacy CAD software by its simplicity and less operations needed to achieve the same results. Please keep it.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I’ve been testing old and new versions side-by-side for quite a while just now, and I can confirm that the only difference is the removal of the double-click gesture to enter sketching and everything else is working the same. We can’t really bring that back easily as combining single- and double-click gestures can’t be done well. Shift + right click makes little sense for this either: if your hand is already on the keyboard to press Shift, you could just press Space and achieve the same thing without having to click as well.

I know it’s an adjustment and understand that it might be less convenient for you, but we had to drop this gesture to make room for the context menu that will be the foundation of many important interactions in the future.

We are on the same page about simplicity and efficiency: it’s our main design principle to keep Shapr3D easy and quick to use while making it more powerful week by week.

4 Likes

Hi Peter,

Another thing I forgot to mention, in sketch mode after selecting and using a tool (line for ex.) I used to right-click anywhere to drop the tool, now I have to choose from context menu to drop or click escape key. That’s two actions vs one before.

Another example I can provide is with my normal work (Mac) my right hand is on the mouse and left hand on the keyboard above the Shift/Control/Command area. Moving my hand to the Esc key causing false clicks on the keys around (Esc key is half the size of others). So to prevent mistakes I need to look at the keyboard.

Hope this help to understand the time lost on dealing with this change.

Thanks

Indeed, dropping the active pen now requires one additional click or the Esc key, which can be harder to reach if your hand is normally further down on the keyboard. I used the Vi editor so much that pressing Esc is ingrained in my muscle memory so I never noticed personally :slight_smile:, but it’s indeed true. We’ll look at this problem. Thanks again for the detailed feedback!

1 Like

I’d like to provide some feedback on this new behavior that has become seriously disruptive to me in just 2 days of using Shapr3D since its release:

• Improved: Get a less cluttered workspace! Locked sketch dimensions now match the visibility of other constraints.

I loved the ability to hide constraints when that was released a while ago, and almost always have that turned on while I’m sketching. I’m often dealing with very intricate dimensionally precise drawings however, and always wanted to see the constrained dimensions I have placed so far.

WIth this new behavior, I now have to choose between seeing nothing at all, or seeing dimensions and constraint bubbles so cluttered in the view that it’s impossible to make sense of any of it unless I zoom way in. That also means there’s no ability at all anymore to see all my dimension constraints of all or even most of my sketch at once, because they are all covered up by the countless other constraint bubbles.

Can these be distinct options instead of all or nothing? I’d even enjoy the ability to selectively show only specific constraint bubbles, in addition to always seeing dimensional constraints.

Thanks.

(Attached photos of the sketch I’m working on now to see how much is covered up by all the constraints noise.)