5.360 - Material Orientation is here

Hers’s a quick hack until Shapr3D improves this feature…

Simply create the body as a group of segments (do not union).

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Here’s a quick hack until Shapr3D improves this feature…

Simply create the body as two separate halves (do not union).

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet - but as a woodworker this is my #1 request (#2 is user supplied textures - I photo the actual wood as part of visualization - mostly when the wood is really rare and expensive). Can’t thank you enough for adding this!

I just realized that the orientation of the material is tied to the position of the model in space. This should be prevented.

1 Like

I came here to comment that this feature doesn’t quite work, but I can see that I’m not the only one that noticed. Please keep working on this Shapr team, so that it doesn’t produce results that are impossible in the real world. Please consult some woodworkers. Thanks.

3 Likes

In the interim before we get user defined materials - end-grain equivalents for all the wood materials would go along ways for us woodworkers :slight_smile:

1 Like

So close, but not entirely there yet. Wood grain is not correct on all sides; as shown on this object made from a square post.

2 Likes

Will you be bringing the ability to orientate the material sepeartely in the x, y , and z axis? And the ability to assign the same material to different components with the ability to alter the settings to each individually?

Hey Malleus! Thanks for posting this. If you could post this to our customer support with the workspace that would be a big help so we could check out this issue. Thanks in advance!

Hey Plane! We are aware of the issue you have described and working on some updates around Material Orientation.

3 Likes

Fantastic news! I’ve been eagerly waiting for the 5.360 Material Orientation feature, and I’m thrilled that it’s finally here. Shapr3D just keeps getting better. I like the user-friendly interface and the intuitive controls.

2 Likes