Any feature ideas?

Yes we are aware of these hiccups, they can be really annoying. The plan is to fix a hundreds of such issues this year.

1 Like

An incredible update. Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely. Impressive. Thank you!

2 Likes

Just wait until you see the next one :wink:

3 Likes
  • Exploded views
  • Adjustable section views
  • Import SVG files
  • Export SVG projections on the 3 planes (very useful to check CNC laser cuts)
  • Quick measurement tools between edges or faces that doesn’t need to add sketches
  • Labels for dimensions
  • Apply color to any portion of a face delimited by a sketch filling
  • Hierarchy of groups
  • A multi-body selection tool, like any other design software
  • Easily COPY/PASTE objects in and between projects
3 Likes

Just had a nice and helpful video conference with @Peter_Shapr3D from Shapr3D staff, and I am excited to hear that some great and useful features are coming in the next few months!!

1. 3D snapping: not sure how it will work, but if I understood it correctly, the transformation tools (move/rotate/scale/rotate, rotate around axis) will have a toggle that stops the movement when the moving bodies touch other visible bodies;
  2. Ability to subtract or intersect bodies retaining the originals, so you can place a body into another and make a perfect hole for it without having to translate back and forth a copy of the original;
  3. Improved sectioning tool: when sectioning is activated, you can move the construction plane where the grid is placed on and the sectioning will reflect the new position, or maybe there will be an apposite “section plane”. We discuss also the possibility to export only the section in a file, it looks like a nice feature;
  4. The “transform gizmo” which shows the translating/rotating directions, could be improved in those cases where the direction of movement is not clear. We discuss also the possibility to have an ad-hoc transform menu with one button for each X-Y-Z coordinate (or rotation), you tap those you need and input a value and the body will move (or rotate) in the selected one at same time. With just 3 taps you can have your body moving X -50mm, Z -10mm and rotating XZ 90Âș at the same time.
  5. We discuss the possibility to select multiple bodies and have those rotating by a selected angle individually and not as a whole: this means that if two parallelepiped have a side laying on the same plane and you rotate them by 90Âș on an edge in that plane, the resulting parallelepipeds are still laying on this plane.
  6. Last but not least, more input/export formats could also be available!

Some of those (#1-2-3) seem already to be under development, whereas #4 and #5 were just some nice brainstorm.

Thank you again Peter for your hints, tips and insights (and please correct me if I figured out some new feature the wrong way)!

Keep on the good work!

5 Likes

My wish/hope list:

1. Choice to render export (photo) with or without outlines.

2. Control over field of view.

3. Simple light/ cast shadow control of some kind.

2 Likes

A simple notepad where you can keep scribbles, to do tasks and any notes would be early useful for me. Maybe pop out from the side of the screen?

1 Like

Is there anyone else who would find useful to have a “peek” tool that allows to move bodies around with a tap & drag and having them go back to the original position once released?

2 Likes

Just use split screen and the notes app. It’s what I do.

I want to be able to define circles by the diameter. Also an array command would be great, rectangular and polar(circular).

2 Likes

That’s nice really

Better rendering of shapes on the fly using Metal
Export file to USDZ to be viewed in Augmented Reality.

4 Likes

But wouldn’t it be hard to use the smart keyboard and the pencil at the same time?

For people with Bluetooth keyboards this could work nicely — keyboard can then be set to one side where it’s easy to get to but not in the way of using iPad as a tablet.

This is not a technical feature request so much as a marketing feature request. I would love to be able to support continuing development by purchasing a feature limited “hobbyist” version of Shapr3D. As a retired software engineer/analyst, I’m fully aware how much it costs to develop professional level software and I realize that those costs must be recouped from a much smaller potential audience. And I feel that your current pricing is more than fair, actually a bargain — for professional usage.

But it is difficult to justify paying professional prices for a program that is only used occasionally. In my case, I only have time for 2 or 3 woodworking projects per year. Even so, I am a firm believer in “you get what you pay for”. I’d like to help support continuing development and I feel I should pay for the value I receive from Shapr3D. But, as a casual user (on a fixed income), I would prefer $5 or even $10 per month (or $50/$100 per year). Unlike some of the complainers on Apple App Store, I think subscriptions are perfectly reasonable and necessary to support ongoing development and support.

The current base “free” level is truly amazing and is a fantastic way to tempt the widest potential audience. But I can’t help thinking that serious hobbyists would be very willing to pay for a few extra features. In the past, I’ve been burned too often by free or cheap software becoming abandoned.

Obviously, there must be sufficient incentive for professional users to remain subscribed at the highest level, but it seems to me that a pretty clear demarcation would be the import/export of high precision data to various professional CAD formats as is already the case.

But I do think that serious amateurs would be willing to pay for some convenience features to help them get more out of the program. One idea is color or a least a limited selection. Also, perhaps the ability to import photos only (no vector data). Maybe even early access to some new features as they are introduced in the future.

I suspect that the absolute number of serious amateur users is far higher than the potential number of professional users and that a more flexible pricing scheme could result in greater overall revenue.

2 Likes

You make a number of excellent points. I actually agree that $240/year is a fair price for the value of Shapr3D. If I wasn’t retired, I would bite the bullet and pay that much in spite of my only occasional usage.

Unfortunately, that is a lot of money for many, if not most, hobbyists. And, for better or worse (worse IMHO), the Apple App Store has perhaps permanently altered the public perception of a “fair” price for software. I’m pretty sure that a lot more software developers have gone broke trying to sell a $0.99 game than the very few who happen to hit it big. Although I have noticed more $5, $10 and even $20 applications starting to appear, so perhaps the public is starting to realize that you get what you pay for.

In hindsight, I wish I had subscribed at the $99/year level. But at that time it was still much more of a work in progress with no guarantee that it would ever become as good as it is now. None of the offerings in the App store have ever made it into my normal workflow. I have been forced to rely on SketchUp, which is fairly powerful, but for me at least, not particularly intuitive. Seems like I need to relearn it several times a year when I start a new project. I can’t imagine that Shapr3D would be as difficult. The various tools are very consistent in implementation and the tool tips that step you through each function are fantastic. Not to mention the video tutorials which are superb.

My main concern with SketchUp (and my primary reason for preferring a paid option) is that each subsequent release seems to make things a little more difficult for amateurs using the unpaid version. Which is why I tend to check in to the App store once or twice a year to see if there are any viable alternatives yet. Needless to say, I’ve been extremely impressed with the current Shapr3D which I tried out after receiving my new iPad Pro/Pencil2.

Like you, I preordered and received mine on launch day. I know it seems a little strange to be complaining about $240 when I just spent 5 times that much on hardware, but I had budgeted and saved for quite a while. I have to be careful how I spend the fun part of my fixed income. Although, after using the current Shapr3d, I really wish I had opted for the 12.9 instead of the 11 inch.

Like you, I definitely do not advocate any changes that would make it worse for either professionals or amateurs, but I strongly suspect that there is room for an additional offering that would make life easier for serious amateurs while still ensuring that all or almost all users requiring pro level features continue to subscribe to the full program. Obviously, any potential loss of full price users would need to be offset by a significantly higher number of hobbyist users.

I’m guessing that about $50/year (or $5/month) would be a pretty good sweet spot – about the price of a good video game. Definitely in impulse buy territory. At that price, even occasional use (perhaps a hundred hours per year total) makes the cost per hour very reasonable.

Probably just having the higher precision import/export functions reserved for the pro tier would be enough to keep the current subscription level stable. I doubt many pros would be able to work without being able to collaborate or distribute their creations for evaluation/enhancement/post processing/production etc.

Just adding color would be enough to justify $50 for me. I’m currently trying to design some cabinets for my shop and being able to easily differentiate pieces of wood would be helpful. I don’t know enough about 3D printing (and probably won’t unless someone opens a MakerSpace close to me) to say for sure, but I believe at least some of that capability is already included. Perhaps that could be moved to the “hobbyist” tier in a future release. In addition, it sounds like some pretty useful improvements are already in the pipeline. Some or even all of these could be moved to a paid option.

Anyway, just my two cents worth. I completely accept that $240/year is worth it compared to any available alternatives for those that can afford it. On the other hand, $20/month is roughly twice the cost of Netflix and for what I suspect is a large potential market of part time users, the value proposition just isn’t there.

4 Likes

Now that the number #1 is done and dusted (works like a charm, thumbs up!) 
 Any update on #2 (FOV) and #3 (light/ shadow)? :wink:

1 Like

I’d love to see some basic rendering & animation functionality built in

Native text

Import stl

:pray::pray::pray:

A feature that I would to see implemented in the near future is the “array command.” This feature will save a lot of time and thus make us more productive. This will save us the pain of having to rely on copy to reach the design amount of copies needed.
This feature will help speed up things like placement of bolt on a rim, the creation of a gear, etc

It will also be great to see the app integrate some things like a bolts and gear library (a tool to easily create those at least) and maybe like a space a la 3D warehouse where the user can post their creations which can later be downloaded by other users. I understand that it requires a lot of time to develop such an infrastrure especially given you guys have a lot on your plate already. I just hope that some of these features are on your roadmap and that we will get to see them in not such a distant future.

Thank you very much for the hard work once more. Shapr3D is becoming a housename and will definitly lead the way for advanced CAD modeling on the IPad Pro!!

3 Likes

Another feature I forgot to mention which would be greatly welcome is a vertical snap option for let say when one is extruding a shape upward or downward. This snap option will allow us to extrude a given shape according to the height of another object without having to input the the number.

If my explanation is not clear enough please let me know so that I could refine my request and maybe supplement it with some images to put in perspective what I am talking about :slight_smile:

2 Likes