Any feature ideas?

Found another two or three feature ideas:

• an option to set scale to 1:1 ( 1mm on the model = 1mm on the iPad screen) . i am doing some models with small details and this would useful.
  • in the same vein, an option to view the model in A.R. ( pie in the sky, i now)
  • a real-time STL view instead of just the tiny preview. Allowing to adjust the details level and see the resulting model could be useful, especially to see if small details get smoothed or hidden away.

VISUALISATION TOOLS PLEASE

The sketching, placement precision, snapping are all sorted now for me - it is a very accomplished modelling software. ( I just need more time to learn all the functions ! )

As a designer, and to really make me want to use it more - Iā€™d now like to see the things that make the 3D models visually pop on screen and let me present directly from the screen.

SHADOWS
Shadows, as seen in other software programs, makes an amazing visual difference to an object and gives a real sense of depth

TEXTURES
Then of course the ability to apply jpegs / textures to faces that you could scale / position etc would be a real game changer in making things come to life.

Thank you for all your developments to date
Kevin.

1 Like

Easy way to select multiple objects quickly. Such as a Lasso Tool.

3 Likes

A way to share shapes between project files. I can export to stl, but canā€™t re-import to another project without having to use 3rd party software.

1 Like

You can export in .shapr format, and import it to another workspace as a workaround.

Great, thanks.

You can use the Transform tools with Copy selected to do a sort of an array
Here I have copied a circle once at 45 degrees around an axis, then the 2 circles at 90 degrees and then The 4 circles at 180 degrees to give me 8 circles. Not as quick, but doable.image

2 Likes

My designs use a lot of lines/constraints. I find myself having to remove lines i used for positioning/constraining to reduce the number of objects i want to select for extrusion.

How about, instead, i can mark these lines as something like ā€œextrusion-transparent linesā€ so that i donā€™t have to remove the lines to extrude and then add them back in when i find i need to adjust the size of the object for next extrusion?

1 Like

hola a todos,
he realizado una busqueda por el foro y no he visto la sugerencia de poder extruir una cara por ambos lados a la vez. Me refiero a extruir con simetria, como tampoco he visto poder hacer un offset a la distancia que nosotros queramos para tener mayor control en la extrusiĆ³n. Bueno hay lo dejoā€¦ jejejeje
un cordial saludo!!

Hi all,
Iā€™ve done a search through the forum and I have not seen the suggestion of being able to extrude a face from both sides at once. I mean to extrude with symmetry, as I have not seen to be able to make an offset at the distance that we want to have more control in the extrusion. Well, Iā€™ll leave it ā€¦ jejejeje
a cordial greeting!!

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been working on a very real business project lately with Shapr, starting to use it as an essential creative tool for work ā€¦ not just fun anymore. Hereā€™s some thoughts I would like to share with you as a professional with over 20 years of experience in the hard-core 3D design industry.

My overall feel is: THIS IS AWESOME. This should be among the no. 1 selling apps on App Store. Iā€™m blown away by how stable and fast this software is on my tiny iPad Pro. So you deserve my biggest congratulations and respect. I donā€™t say this very often, but this time I really really mean it. I was totally able to get some pretty serious work done.

The software is very well thought out, but as with all things especially in the relatively early stages, there is still room for improvement.

Please see my (new) list of feature requests / desired improvements (more or less) in the order of importance:

1. When a new folder is created, PLEASE put selected bodies into it. The new interface for asset management on the left is a very welcome upgrade but also less than ā€œhalf-cookedā€. This is what really needs fixing above all else.
  2. Expanding functionality to make edits, like renaming, deleting, etc on multiple (selected) objects would also be more than welcome. That said, my #1 request is likely quite easy to achieveā€¦ When pressing new folder buttonā€¦ donā€™t just create a folderā€¦ put selected objects (if any) into it. Thanks.
  3. When a folder of objects is copied (via Translate +Copy), new objects should not be put into the same folderā€¦ A new folder should be created containing newly created objects
  4. The ability to temporarily disable the possibility of a objects to be subtracted by another object without having to turn their visibility off to achieve this goal. In other words, change selected objects State into a reference object which cannot be affected by other objects. This reference object could be defined only by its edges and completely transparent. Those edges could be used does SNAP the translate Gizmo onto them just like you can do with any other object.
  5. Iā€™m thinking that a hard-press on a body could bring up a small overlay menu (sort of like Maya Marking menu, where you can then drag up, down, left, right), where you could select actions like Move, Hide, Template, Isolate Just a thoughtā€¦
  6. The ability to jump into translate/rotate/scale mode very easily, such as perhaps hard pressing on selected object ā€¦. Or perhaps allow the user to create a few quickly accessible hotkeys on the bottom of the screen
  7. Hard press on edge, or face, could select edge or face loop instead od the object (add attachment)
  8. Some easy way to copy selected sketch entitiesā€¦ Something like adding a copy button that you press, while draging the move handle (similar to holding ALT while dragging in Photoshop). Same thing could also work for bodies I guess.
  9. Multiple linear (circular and directional/matrix) object copy (up to 10 copies perhaps).
  10. *For the moment, I would personally turn off COPY mode each time a copy is made, as it is currently very easy to make a mistakeā€¦ you drag a handle to adjust position, instead a new object is made unintentionally.

If you have any questions, Iā€™m happy to chat briefly on Skype if youā€™d like more detailed feedback. I currently live next door in Slovenia.

Best regards, Uros

3 Likes

I sort of agreeā€¦ however ā€¦ Such features are not easy to implement and often come at the expense of considerable slowdown in display rate. This is a software made for creative modeling and you can always export models in the end to a number of other render friendly softwares to apply textures, materials, etcā€¦ So I strongly believe Shapr should now focus on the modeling side. Once that is polishedā€¦ I agree it would be nice to make our models look beautiful too.

5 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience with Shapr. Your success makes us happy. The new items menu is not nearly finished. We release more features for it in chunks instead of one huge update. For ex.: your request is already planned 55

2 Likes

Thank you Zoli. Sounds great! Keep up the good work.

This is great feedback, much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Happy to help any way I can. I can also provide feedback over Skype or write a positive review wherever or whenever youā€™d like.

Best of luck to the Shapr team from Slovenia.

Uros

3 Likes

Yes I know exactly how to do that and itā€™s is slow. No offenseā€¦butā€¦It would be nice if we had some working solutions from the 21st century implemented.

Another feature request(this one more urgent)

We need to be able to ā€œlockā€ bodies.

It would sure make larger assemblies easier.

In the outline browser:

State a) standard(default selection state)

b) reference(you canā€™t select the body but you can use the edges/faces as guides

C) locked. Body is visible but not selectable

Next important feature request:

Phong/blinn shading models for bodiesā€¦so we can have specularity highlight on our models.

1,2,3 point lighting setups(so we can judge our chamfers and fillet rounds better)

2 Likes

I agree, being able to set ā€œobject statesā€ in the outline browser would be very welcome.

Adding points would certainly help for modifying 3d models

Like construction points? Or how would you use them?

Something Iā€™d absolutely love to see is images as a background. As in no matter what direction you point the camera thereā€™s an imported image superimposed on your work.

Better still, being able to set perspective lines from the image and align 3D objects automatically using them. Saving you from having to manually fiddle with the appearance options to get the perspective right.

I do quite a bit of work that involves modeling in Shapr and setting objects in a scene for paint overs in Procreate. Being able to get a screenshot within Shapr that I know works with the background would be a huge advantage. And I canā€™t seem to find an app on the iPad which will do it, needing to set it up in blender on my PC instead.

1 Like