Centering an object on top of another

Hi all… I’m working towards making a dovetail on an object and in this case I’m trying to center a smaller rectangle perpendiculaR to another larger rectangle. But I don’t know how to accomplish this… thoughts?

Hi, after you have drawn the large rectangle, the centre point is indicated and you can use this as a reference point when drawing the smaller perpendicular rectangle.

Draw a line accross the centre
Draw lines parrelel lines for smaller rectangle 1mm away from the centre line on both sides
Then delete the centre line and you will have a well centred pendicular rectangle with equal spaces at both sides

@ps23Rick
Alternatively make it easy on yourself by Sketching the two Rectangles as shown square onto the Grid set, in this case, to 0.5mm.
Make a Copy and Rotate to the Desired Angle and move it to the position required:

Literally cannot get anything to center on anything, all snap things on, great source of frustration

1 Like

Hi @Cratgo, welcome to the community!
Try using align or translate.

1 Like

Thank you, works fine on that kind of thing but won’t snap or align or transfer on anything else, had to create offset line as far as I could to get to snap properly or use calculator to manually figure measurements

Hi @Cratgo, the Align tool and the Translate tool are quite universal. Can you show an example where you got stuck?