Detailing Distances Between Sketch Planes

Please follow the format below for requesting a feature.

Since Sketch Planes are relative, it would help assure that they are where we think they are. Right now we have to actively select SP to determine if they are off.

I discovered we had some SP that were off by 0.01 meter. This was problematic because it meant that walls didn’t meet the ceilings and therefore would create a light leak in Unreal.

Consider adding screenshots and as many details as possible, to help the Shapr3D team and the community understand why you need this feature. Describing your workflow helps us building the right feature.

The end result is that we scrapped extrusions for a multistory building in order to assure that it was correct, rather than attempt to reposition all of the meshes.

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

It would be incredibly helpful to create measurement between SP. It would make my world if they remained active throughout the project. Then, if someone accidentally moves a SP, it becomes immediately obvious.

By doing this, we can see, at a glance, that SP are where we designed them to be, not off by some fraction of a meter. This assures us better quality control, and less rework.

Eg. “this feature should allow me to edit and create constrained assemblies with 100 000+ parts” or “using this feature I should be able to create G2 continuous lofts and manipulate the shape real time” or “with this feature I want to be able to quickly find a part in my designs by searching for its name”.
Understanding the outcomes that you expect from this feature helps us more than describing an actual implementation of the feature that you’d expect.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

Right now, I as it stands, I have to assure that the SP is correct by individually selecting each one. This doesn’t sound like much but we have 16 SP. I’m not mad at the rework, that’s normal in this business, but it puzzles me why we cannot measure distances between SP much less display the distance as a measurement.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

Yes, it is slowing us down because we had to scrap extrusions that were an incorrect height.