Drawing Line on 2D Drawing

I’m trying to use Shapr3D to draw some provisional patent application drawings.

So far, I’ve been able to do mostly what I need, I think.

But now, I need to number the parts. Adding test to the 2D drawings that Shapr3D produces is easy enough, but I need to have some lines (either straight or curved, similar to what ‘spline’ can create) that show that a particular number is associated with a particular part (kind of like a ‘pointer’ from the number to the part).

Is there any way to add a line of any kind to the 2D drawings? If I add line in the 3D drawing, then they’re not necessarily in the correct position when I generate the 2D drawing.

John

1 Like

John, not at this time. Many of us have requested, and I’m certain it will come eventually. I also use Shapr3D for patent drawings, both 2D and 3D illustrations. Then I import those into CorelDRAW or Visio to complete the drawings. The 3D illustrations are too difficult to do in either of these 2D programs.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did find that if I add text/note in the 2D Drawing, then it will add a straight line between the text and the line or curve that I’ve selected to which the text/note should be ‘attached’. I think this is good enough for a provisional patent drawing.

But, I also need to add some dotted lines to show the alignment of multiple parts in a multipart assembly drawing. I can add Construction Axis lines to the 3D drawing, which look pretty good, but those aren’t shown on the 2D Drawing, so I may have to use your method to get those on my drawings.

John

1 Like

What format do you use to import into CorelDRAW?

John

John, I had written this, but never sent. I export using the Sketches menu, not the Drawings menu. I export the 2D drawings in DXF, and export the 3D images using the Image Capture feature. In this piping example, the image is imported, and all commentary is added.

I’ve used the Image Capture function, but now I can’t find it.

John

This is the original Shapr3D version with ‘notes’ added…

This is the Shapr3D drawing with numbers and lines added in Sketchbook…

1 Like

John, the image capture is part of the export function. Tap the “up” arrow at the top of the screen, then scroll down to Image Capture.

I’m using Shapr3D on a PC, but I thought the image capture was in the Export menu. But it isn’t there anymore. According to my account, I have the Pro subscription, but apparently something is messed up and the Image Capture isn’t available now. I’ve opened a support ticket, so I’ll see what they say tomorrow.

John

1 Like

Nice. What format did you use to get it into Sketchbook?

John

1 Like

I exported the .pdf drawing from Shapr3D to my desktop.
I then opened the file and re-exported it as a .jpg
I then opened the .jpg file in Sketchbook to add the numbers and lines.
I then saved as a .jpeg to post here in the forum.

We’ve got to get the Shapr3D people to add some enhancements to make generating drawings/images for patent applications easier. I’ve looked at several CAD programs and other 3D drawing programs and none are anywhere near as easy to use as Shapr3D. And it’s features are a ‘almost there’, but ‘not quite’. If they could add just a few more features and ‘fine tune’ a few existing features, I think they could end up with the best design tool for patent drawings/images, bar none.

John

1 Like

I didn’t use ‘image capture’.

I exported the drawing directly from the drawing page to my desktop…

There are definitely a few features missing from ‘drawings’ but I’m sure in time these will be improved.

I see the Up Arrow in your image posted here. Are you using the PC version of the software? My PC program does not have an Up Arrow.

John

1 Like

Aha… no. I’m using a MacBook. It maybe a little different on you PC, sorry :slightly_frowning_face:

I sure thought I’d used an Image Capture (Screen Capture) on my PC, but maybe I dreamed it. :slight_smile:

John

1 Like

I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve attempted to perform an operation I’m sure I’ve done many times and just can’t find the button or remember how I did it… :astonished:

On your PC there should be a ‘PRINT SCREEN’ button on your keyboard marked ‘PrtScn’.