Dumb dumb here, trying to find the best way to make a basic pill shape

I think I am thinking too much into this. I have watched a ton of tutorials and spend a lot of the day just trying to figure out the basics. I know that there’s probably multiple and I’m sure easy ways to make what is basically a pill shape, but I cannot seem to get a singular piece without any extra lines or circles. I feel like this should be easy, but my pea brain just can’t figure it out. I’m gunna keep watching tutorial videos, but if you guys can recommend what the best tools are, I would super appreciate it!

A pic would help. A capsule or a tablet?

Revolve tool and shell tool for a capsule. Think of the profile. A capsule could also be made by extruding a cylinder, Chamfer tool to round the end and then the shell tool to hollow it.

A tablet could be made both ways less the shell tool.

So first I did the cylinder with the chamfer tool and that seemed to be the closest result to what I’m looking for, although I am not sure how to eliminate the extra lines

I also thought that the revolve tool might be a good one to try, but I may be doing something wrong but it did not work. Can’t seem to post the video though so I can’t really explain it so well

something like this?

Look at it in visualization the lines should go away. It will give a better representation of what you are actually going to see. The lines represent the change in the geometry so to speak.

1 Like

That should help?

1 Like

The lines represent points where you made changes to the object. They are unavoidable just like polygon lines on a mesh object in poly based modelling software, just as the other guys here showed. However, just like in poly modelling programs the lines won’t show up when you add materials or texture maps.

The clip here shows two methods of doing a capsule and the end result is a line.

And below at 00:13 when Visualisations is turned on, the lines disappear even with default material still applied.

It’s worth noting that any if not all modelling apps we export our Shapr3D work from will have the option to hide lines/wireframes.

Ok, I am realizing now what I was doing wrong. The problem I was having with the revolve feature was instead of making half the shape to rotate around the axis, I sketched out the whole shape. I figured it was something really simple that I couldn’t figure out. This will definitely help me in the future because the revolve feature is really useful but I just couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks guys!

analysing your final shape and finding symmetry helps to create them in a simple way.

I often make a quick sketch on paper, even including top, front and side views.
I did exercises with simple objects that I found on my desk, just like you do with your pill shape.

1 Like

I drew the whole thing’s profile, but made a line splitting it.