Editing existing sketches

Hi! I’m trying to import existing curves made in Rhino and edit them in Shapr3D. Is it even possible? Can Shapr3D edit curves/sketches from other software? I tried exporting/importing using IGES and STEP formats but it didn’t work out :frowning:

The problem is the curves that are imported are not editable. They don’t display control points, though they’re displayed as “edges” - the same as sketches that are created by Shapr3D. I can edit curves created in Shapr3D but I can’t edit curves created externally.

Thank you!

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to be possible right now… It would be really nice if it would be possible to edit curves imported from Rhino - and use them as input in Shapr3D.

Philip

1 Like

Hi! Currently we do not support the import or export of sketches from and to other CAD software. We have looked into some solutions on how to implement it, but we don’t have an ETA for it right now.

Aron

+1 for the ability to import vector shapes as sketches. It would add an amazing amount of capability to the app to be able to import an SVG (or similar vector-format) shape as a sketch, extrude, etc.

1 Like

SVG import/export was not our first thought, it’s not widely supported in the CAD world. We have looked into DXF import/export. Would that also be useful @uber.geek?

1 Like

I’m not familiar with DXF. I just did some reading on it, and the seems like a less-capable format than SVG, but looks like it’s a common AutoCAD format, so I can see why you’d prioritize it. My go-to vector drawing app (the excellent Graphic on iOS), does not support DXF, but I see there are some ways to convert between the two (using Inkscape, for instance).

DXF would not be ideal for me, personally, but I’d be happy to have some way at all to import sketches, and I’d deal with the inconvenience, in the short-term.

I’d vote for 3dm.

Philip

It seems to me that most users do not import to lose certain capabilities but rather to gain them. In other words, it seems less likely that more people would be looking to import drawings/sketches produced in a 2D program that was used because it had more 2D capability than currently offered by Shapr3d’s drawing tools. Therefore, I’d like the import capability chosen to be one that Can be exported by as large a number of powerful 2D drawing programs as possible. That way I could bring in more detailed, 3D ready sketches than I can currently draw in Shapr3D. Caveat: Highly stable.

I’d vote for DXF, SVG or EPS - either of them would work. STEP or any other would work as well, but curves editing should be supported.

What’s the use in importing existing formats without the ability to edit the content?

1 Like

In a fully-functional scenario, we definitely should be able to edit, but right now, I’ll take any ability to bring a vector image in as a sketch.

Using a dedicated 2D app to do most of the heavy lifting, and then import the results. I wouldn’t want to have to do that forever, but I’m ok with it for now. That would allow company logo files, more complex shapes, and access to an enormous library of existing content.

1 Like

That was meant to say “that I CAN’T currently draw in Shapr3D.” :slight_smile: