Exporting a project to obj format creates a single .obj file

Hi. I’m trying to export a model, made of about 100 bodies, to .obj. I check the “Save each 1st level item separately”. I’ve got the .zip file as expected, however, when I open it, I only have one .obj file. If I import the .obj file into ZBrush, I get only one Subtool. I, of course, need all the parts separately so I can do a remesh and further processing. All the parts have different names.

I tried with simpler projects, and it seems to work fine. In most cases, Shapr3d exports multiple objects in a zip file.

Going farther, I imported the 100 parts project (.obj file) directly into Marmoset Toolbag 4, just to see what happens, and it recognizes all the parts, with their corresponding names. This is not rare because Marmoset uses to detect all parts without any problem, but as parts from a whole.

Anyway, I assume that the export from Shapr3d should create a zip with all the parts separately, as I’ve seen in other exports before, and as it’s explained during the export process.

By the way, on all exports from Shapr3D, all objects are rotated 90 degree, so I need to rotate them together back to made them vertical. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
Alex.-

Hey Alex,

When using Save Each 1st-Level Item Separately option please make sure that you have your items on the first level on items panel. If your items are organised in folders, the content of the given folder will be saved together, e.g. If 100 parts are in a common folder, those’ll be exported as a single obj.

The orientation of the exported file depends on the relative orientation of the object to the coordinate system. The exported objects will be in the same orientation when imported. You can either try to modell on a required plane or rotate your objects in shapr3D before exporting to get the right result.

1 Like

Hi Daniel.
Thanks for your answer.

Let me try what you said. I’ll get back to you soon.

Thanks,
Alex.

Hi.

Well, definitely it works when you don’t use Folders inside the project. I moved all the bodies to the first level in the items tree, exported all of the as .OBJ, and Shapr3d created a ZIP file, containing all the bodies separately and using the assigned names.
In my perspective, this is a limitation, because you need to leave all the bodies at the first level if you will export them all to another software, as in my case. In a complex model, you usually organize the parts in groups, so you can hide/show, etc. them at any time.
You should be able to export the bodies as separate files, without the need to move all of them to the root directory in Shapr3d. Otherwise, what is the point in having folders?.
Thanks Daniel for your help.
I’d like to make this post a feature request.
Thanks!

I export obj format from Shapr to ZBrush all the time and learned to keep everything out of sub folders.

Hi. Thanks all for your answers. I assume that this is the way it currently works. I will make a suggestion on the Feature requests category. I would prefer having my objects classified into folders, and keep it that way when I export everything to a render software.
Thank you all.

If you are sending as obj to a rendering software such as Keyshot or Light Tracer Render (I use both), you can leave the parts in folders and they will all stay as separate items.