Filet / chamfer edge does not work after extruding a sketch (video attached)

How can you filet / chamfer an ‘edge loop’ or set of connected lines/arcs after extruding from a sketch?

Here is a 1-minute video showing the issue:

Reproduce:

1. Sketch arcs+lines - Draw a series of lines and arcs on a single plane.
  2. Create a plane - Create a working plane in the center on the perpendicular axis, so you can mirror the sketch for symmetry.
  3. Mirror the sketch across the plane - After mirroring, the sketch will now be a closed face.
  4. Extrude - Extrude the closed face
  5. Chamfer - Attempt to chamfer, and see that only one edge will chamfer at a time. Selecting multiple edges behaves strangely, as if the edges are disconnected.

How can I get the edges to be ‘connected’ and all chamfer together?

1 Like

You’ll need to select ALL the edges together before chamfering.

Either click to select each edge in turn until they’re all highlighted or…

…select top view then draw a bounding box over the front edges and tab to select edges only.
Now you will be able to chamfer them as desired.

Hope this helps :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks @welshsteve! That works great.

Do you know why in this case I need to select all the edges, where in other cases Shapr will seem to detect a loop on its own?

Curious if there was something about the construction method or the geometry that is obvious to power users - where certain cases Shapr will chamfer/filet the whole loop for you, and in others you need to select manually.

1 Like

You can select a single edge and all edges that meet to form a path with no abrupt angular change will chamfer together.

By way of example: the straight edge that meets the curved edge at a tangent WILL chamfer together with the edge of the curve.

Shapr3D treats the two edges as one continuous edge.

Hope this answers your question :smile:

1 Like

Interesting - marked as a solution!

Thanks for the detailed responses Steve.

In case you know - is there any way to know what that “angle” that determines whether or not edges will chamfer together is? Or otherwise see which edges will move together without first doing the action? Or is it not a simple threshold? (not super high priority, can obviously work around it and just do trial & error :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe the edges must run perfectly aligned (almost).

When you tangent a line to a circle they will meet perfectly aligned.

I experimented with some angles and found that it will chamfer if there is a only very slight angle… 179.9999 deg worked :rofl:

1 Like