First Observations on MacOS Shapr3D

I agree, and it will most likely come in due time. :slight_smile: I can assure you, we have a VERY big list we still need to develop for the mac version.

It’ll be worth it as the only reasonably priced parasolid based Mac app.

1 Like

Did you receive the update? Some users received it later (still under investigation), but it should be good now.

It was offered to me last night when I opened the app and installed fine. Thanks for the follow-up.

1 Like

How is Apple M1 chip based Macbook Pro handling Shapr3D. Is 8GB RAM sufficient? Is there anyone who has worked on multiple component designs on the platform…how’s the experience?

Super fast. We are running natively on Apple Silicon, the performance it amazing. I strongly recommend the M1 devices for Shapr3D.

1 Like

As always, it depends on your use case. If you are making very large, complex designs, you can run out of memory, but this can happen with 16 gigs, just later. Since you can’t upgrade memory capacity on the M1 platform, I would recommend going for the 16 gigs model, especially if you also want to run other programs, or something memory hungry in the background (looking at Chrome… :slight_smile: ).

The performance is better than a 2019 i9 MBP with 4 GB dedicated 5500M, so no problems on that side.

1 Like

Thanks…a nice suggestion on RAM.

Hi again. First of all: Still love Shapr3D for Mac :slight_smile:
Problem is when I work at office MacBook with big monitor and then leave to home iMac, I am logged out. Logging in at home iMac to do some adjustment and then off to customer with MacBook, which is logged out again. Logging in at customer site on MacBook for tweaks, and back home to iMac, witch now is logged out. Seems like only one device can be connected to the same user. This sucks. Should be connected to Apple ID instead of device, or accepted minimum 2 devices.

2 Likes

Hi again.
When I select a small object to move it, the translation window always cover the object I want to move. Can it appear a bit outside the object please?

On a related note, when I move a sketch, the centroid disappears, making it hard to properly line up on a grid, point, or object.

I agree on the modifier keys…it is extremely awkward for rotating around the model to be adding the shift key.

Now tend to use Shapr3D more on the Mac that on the iPad. I got a 3-button mouse for a PC to use the program, so the central wheel will zoom when rotated, and pan when click-dragged. Great! And rotations are just the right mouse button, also good.

BUT I continue to find that something is just wrong with the free rotations in Sharp3D. They used to be splendid, both on the Mac and on the iPad, working pretty much like every other CAD program, including Solidworks. Basically the rotations were the equivalent of “rotate view” in SW.

NOW, something has changed and the right button is closer to a strange combination of “rotate view” and “rotate model” depending on the axis in questions. It’s terrible. The orientation cube is no help, as it’s tiny, and it tends to snap the model to various directions in an unintuitive manner.

Ironically I am starting to move away from Shapr3D in some instances where I’d like to use it more after all the work that went into the rendering engine. There is no reason for the right mouse button to work any differently in Shapr3D than in every other CAD program. It should work like Alibre, SW, and Creo. Please!

Hi @Steamflyer, I don’t fully understand the issue, or maybe I just can’t reproduce it. Can you post a screen recording of what’s happening? Also, how are these issues related to the rendering engine?

2 Likes

Im curious @Steamflyer has these issues, I use Shapr3d for quite a few hours on a daily basis, and if i understand what he is saying…….I find it bewildering because I have had the opposite experience. I’m interested to see the screen recording, and for the life of me i can’t understand why the time put into the rendering engine, and or the rendering engine itself are issues, but then again since Shapr3d has worked flawlessly for me for literally hundreds of hours…….I may be a little prejudiced……………….

I will try and post some examples later in the week. I just built a very simple part - a cylinder. When it was built along the y axis (base in the x-z plane) it rotated as expected. When it was built along the z axis (base in the x-y plane), some of the rotations seemed to work not as expected. Most of my work is with moderately complex assemblies built along the z axis, so there may be something there; have to investigate further.

The camera orbits around the Z axis. This has not changed in the last few years.

The behavior in the video is the “normal” behavior. Does Shapr3D behave differently for you?

1 Like

In both the SW and the Shapr3D, the cylinder is built in the z-axis and the input is a right to left drag. In SW the part “tips over” as expected, but in Shapr3D it does not.

Yes, this behavior is normal, as the camera always orbits around the Z axis. This is how it always worked. SW uses a different camera model, some other CAD systems use a similar to what we do.

1 Like