Furniture Design Modeling Help

Good evening, it is my first time using Shapr3D. I am trying to model furniture for a scholarshi. My background is in interior architecture. The only 3D software I have experience with is Revit which isn’t the best option for organic designs. I have a windows computer and would appreaciate some help bringing my sketches to life. I am practicing using the tutorial videos provided on the app yet I am still stuck on how to create the shape of my design. I am overwhelmed so any guidance or recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you, Abby :slight_smile:

https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

This is an intermediate task to say the least.

I would break it down into 3 portions to be added together later. The Chair, the parasol, and the food service trayble [sic].

For the chair back (WARNING: TEDIOUS WORK!)

First I drew the tallest loop with the spline tool for the chair back first. Then I made a copy with the move tool while moving it 10 degrees ( Notice how I moved the pivot point on the move tool to rotate in an arc).

I edited the loop copy to be lower. Repeated that multiple times.

Break the chair down to seat, base and back.

Then I lofted them together. Then I mirrored it to make a simple organic chair back.

Each loop is editable in real time.

This is to give you an “idea” on one way to do it. I do not have time to make a vid and I’m not into it at this time because I am a busy person at the moment. :sweat_smile:

I can still help if you need it. Others might have other ideas here.

Others might have better ideas than this and or will make you a vid.

I’ve got to tile my shower skylight today. Very tedious work :rofl:

Thank you for the reply! What commands can I use?

It’s all about the sketches. :grinning_face:

Also “planes” are very helpful. Learn to harness them.

You might want to take a look at this tutorial. I saw this while back and thought what you want to achieve is similar.

Instead of thinking as a finished product try creating the simple solid base object first and shave things out of it.

Also don’t be shy using AI tools to help you visualize, I’m pretty sure everyone else in Arch world is using it.

Even free Google Gemini can easily visualize that for you so you can use it as reference image to help you model. Prompt simple “just make it 3d”

The end of needing tools like Shapr is likely close upon us.

I’m sure your joking. For visualization purposes, in the architecture world they been using AI tools for long time, meaning years so nothing new. It’s just in the 3d Modeling side lot of skills just got combined.

But someone needs to make it, get it to CAD, make drawings, woodworker need to build it etc. It’s getting to where lets say woodworker who know nothing about 3d model can one day don’t need bug a 3d modeler.

Yes, AI in interior architecture is becoming industry standard. I just wanted to challenge myself a bit and learn a new skill. Thank you !

Thank you so much really appreciate it !

Nope, Not joking. The foundations for it are already here. AI in CAD is already here.

For now I think AI is AI but DUMB, it requires human input or human validation. If you want to build a skyscraper trusting AI would be very foolish. So I don’t think it can from start to finish do everything on its own.

For consumers who rely on 3d printer for non mission critical things sure, it seems right now its for curiosity.