Glitchy spline points

Creating splines and moving points has been very glitchy. I will draw a spline and when I try to move the point, it will take a few tries of moving the pencil on the spline point before it actually moves. I use splines with most drawings, so I know this is a very unusual occurrence. I also checked the App Store for an update.

1 Like

Hello! Could you please turn on Tutorial Mode, make a screen recording about the issue and upload the video here or send us to support@shapr3d.com?

The tutorial mode will show your finger and pencil touches on the screen. It can be found if you enter the iPad’s settings, scroll down to Shapr3D in the apps and turn the Tutorial Mode toggle on. It is super helpful for us when investigating the issue.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Peter, I had experienced these problems before. That is why I switched to the Apple Magic Mouse for the iPad Pro. it is working very well with the iPad Pro M1 type. The Apple Magic Mouse is very slow with Mac mini but the performance is acceptable with the iPad Pro or any iPads. But the best system that I had found so far is still the remote control type Elecom Track Ball mouse. It is very easy to sketch Control point splines and will not run out of room on the mouse pad. It is also very small and portable but could be a bit expensive but cheaper than the Apple Magic Mouse.
Kingson

Hi I think the tip of your pencil could be a bit loose. Please check it. I switched to track ball mouse or Apple Magic Mouse. The experience is a lot better. I could also use the Folio Keyboard as well.

Hi @kingson138, thanks for sharing your experience. If you could upload/send a screen recording with the tutorial mode and the pencil input, that would be super helpful :slight_smile:

Hi @KPeter , thanks for your reply. I do not use Apple Pencil anymore with the iPad Pro. I had found that it is difficult to sketch control point splines with the pencil. When using the pencil to sketch guide lines or rails for Loft operations a continuous spline is needed. Using a Track Ball Mouse or Apple Magic Mouse can generate a smooth continuous control point spline. In fact I am using the track ball with iPad Pro. I can get the correct short cuts from the folio key board by typing just two characters like ‘mo’ to get move/copy. Using Apple Pencil the shortcut does not work too well. Have to use Command F first. I sketch Control point splines a lot with Loft operations so I ended using the Elecom Track Ball Mouse now. I will not upload any screen recording with the pencil at this point. the light pressing and releasing operations to generate control points or fix points might be changed to a 1/2 second delay on the spline curve. Maybe that will improve a bit. As for the moving operations, on the smaller 11 inch iPad Pro might be a bit hard to drag the arrows because the position of the tip might be off a bit due to the smaller size screen. Just like sketching a line, the starting guide point is very hard to see because the point is very small. That might be the reason for not able to move the control points.
Kingson

1 Like

Hi everybody! I’ve also got this glitchy problem one week ago , I reset iOS 15 but it didn’t help. Also I can see red finger steps on my screen during session and they don’t disappear until I reset IPad… Thanks for recommendation to use the mouse but I would like to use my pencil ( no mouse, no cats, no dogs etc) Please , check and solve that trouble as soon as possible.

3 Likes

Nice, clean mechanics!

Best,

Tommy

I was curious about this statement:

So I tried it myself, and yes, this is a bug:

1. Tap anywhere with a finger
  2. Type mo

Note that mo is input and “Move/Rotate” is selected from the completion list, as expected. Now:

1. Tap anywhere with the Apple Pencil
  2. Type mo

Consistently, om is input instead of mo! The second typed character is inserted before the first. I have no idea why the pencil should cause this, but it’s happening every time for me (iOS 15.0, iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen).

@dwineman Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I had already reported that to support at shapr3d and they were able to duplicate the error. But we do not know when they will fix it. Actually when more functions are added to Shapr3D, the use of the Apple Pencil might be more difficult than before. For example a longer press will bring up the Selection box. That is why I am using the Elecom Relacon Remote Control Track Ball mouse with my iPad Pro M1 plus the Folio Key Board. It works better and the same as using Desktop. That mouse is very small, like a portable unit and it also provides controls for video and sound as well.

Regards,
Kingson

1 Like

@dwineman
Hi, I think they had fixed this shortcut problem somewhat with today’s update. This problem is still here sometimes. But I think they will fix them all eventually. At least now when I type ‘mo’ the ‘move/copy’ will come out as a selection. (When using Apple Pencil with the Folio Keyboard.). I also found that if the Global Key was programmed as an ESC key, pressing ESC before typing the short cuts will be more accurate.

Best,
Kingson

1 Like

@kingson138 The bug is still there every time for me on 4.12 with Apple Pencil and iPad Magic Keyboard.

It looks like the problem is that after tapping with the Pencil, the command prompt does not gain keyboard focus from the initial keystroke, and then the second keystroke places the cursor at the beginning of the field instead of the end. It may be an Apple bug, but in that case Shapr needs to work around it by double-checking the cursor position.

Hi maybe you should try to program the global key to ESC. Press ESC then type the short cuts. Seems to work

Kingson