Trying to put a hole in the wall of a cylinder

I’m a very new Shapr3D user, so I thought I’d try something challenging to learn the ropes. I’d like to create a cylinder and put three evenly spaced holes (120º apart) in it. I’ve created the cylinder but I’m lost on how to sketch the holes. I’ve tried but I can not get a hole added and I certainly don’t see how to replicate that hole at 120º.

FYI Mac OSX with a trackpad.

1 Like

There are a number of ways to do this.

Try here Hole in cylinder

1 Like

and here How do I draw holes on the cylindrical faces of components? - #2 by TigerMike

Really good tutorials here. Use the search forum feature first if you can. :grin:

Apologies for the poor quality video. I had to reduce the quality and size to keep it below the 10MB limit.

1 Like

Thank you but that’s not quite where I was going. Think of a piece of pipe in which you drill three holes at precisely 120º intervals.

I was able to get what I wanted after fighting the software and mucking up one of my near attempts. I still can’t delete the old stains of my attempts DESPITE searching the forums for how to delete these designs.

I “sliced” what I produced and I am extremely UNIMPRESSED. What printed was a multi faceted relief and NOT a nice cylinder. I’m not convinced this is the tool I will want to use to produce the things I want to produce.

1 Like

Can you export STL’s in high resolution?

4 Likes

Is this what you’re trying to do? iCloud
I did some planning, and created a plane outside of the cylinder. Then extruded the cylinder, and added holes around it. I forgot to select the add “+” for the first hole, but I turned it on after. I then export for 3D printing.

1 Like

How do you change that plane? I fumbled about and eventually got the plane where it needed to be but dont’ ask me how.

Video here is awful. I can’t get a full screen view to see what you’re clicking on to repeat your example. Whenever I stop the video, the page scrolls too.

Moving the plane is easy. You select it, just like you would select a line or surface.
Then use the Move-Rotate tool.

If you’re referring to my answer, you can select it and then move it in or out. Or you can draw a rectangle and select move/rotate, and rotate it to the angle position you want then create or add a plane to it and move it outward. Anytime you have an enclosed sketch, a rectangle, a circle, or any other shape, as long as it is closed it can become an active plane. Just tap twice on that closed item with your finger and it will zoom in and make that the active plane.

You may need to download it and save it onto your local drive.

Tap with my finger? I’m not running on WEENDOZE. I have a Mac.

Use whatever the equivalent is for the Mac then. Look at some Mac Shapr3D YouTube videos.

I’m using an iPad.

OK. I’ve had a feeling this was WEENDOZE software poorly ported to Mac OSX. There are features talked about that I can not find (Dashboard, Design center, etc.) and the output of print today of the simple cylinder looked like a 3D STOP sign. It’s probably not worth the $200+ investment. Sad because it’s one of the only that didn’t require that I have internet connectivity to use. :frowning:

Aha, it wasn’t clear from your original post if you wanted holes on the cylinder base running the length of the cylinder or holes around the cylinder axis. I apologise.
The same applies though. Draw a plane in front of your cylinder and then draw a circle on the plane in line with the centre line of the cylinder. Use the same technique to copy/rotate the circle around the axis of the cylinder then extrude those circles until they cut holes in the cylinder.