How to make a honeycomb pattern

Hi guys, I work in film and television. I have been asked to make a snoot for a light. The snoot is a box that fits on a light and focuses the beam. At the end of the snoot will be a honeycomb pattern made up of 1/4" hexagons. I need to make the honeycomb 14.5" by 11.75" and the honeycomb depth will be 1.5" I am having trouble making the honeycomb. Anyone have an idea?

I will eventually print this.

TY for your time.

John

John, go to the Polygon tool, in Sketch. Select the Polygon tool, then tap the little black triangle and select one of four shapes. That should allow you to create, then duplicate them. Tom

1 Like

Point of advice for repetitive patterns: When duplicating your hexagons, make extensive use of the “Copy+Rotate” tool to bring your new ones into being, rather than “Copy+Move.” While the two should accomplish the same thing, for repetitive operations the Move tool carries the risk of accidentally misinputting the wrong value somewhere and creating tiny gaps between in your sketch walls that can frustrate you later. When you want to create an interlocking pattern of shapes, setting your Origin to the Master shape’s corner and using Copy+Rotate ensures that one corner of the shape you’re duplicating never leaves contact with its parent.

1 Like
  1. Use the Polygon tool to make a hexagon
  2. Copy it down and to the right
  3. Select both and use the Pattern tool. Drag the pair down to make two staggered columns of hexagons.
  4. Now select the columns and use the Pattern tool again. Drag the two columns to the right and make a honeycomb
  5. Punch out the honeycomb by selecting each individual hexagon (alas), then using the Extrude tool.