How would you take this into 3D?

I’ve just got up to speed on most of the sketching, and feel pretty comfortable whipping up sketches now.

The project I’m working on has a lot of shapes. It’s a motorcycle helmet, so you can imagine what I’m possibly going for here, but the end goal is a uniquely shaped design with various flat, concave, or convex geometric facets at different angles (mostly following the general curves of the helmet).

However, I’m stumped on how I should get started one this. Would love to see what approach you all might take so I can better understand how I should go about this.

Here’s the sketch I whipped up today after way too many hours of fiddling around:

This may help, albeit is a bit older. 3D modeling a bicycle helmet on iPad in Shapr3D - YouTube

1 Like

I’m struggling to translate that into all my different facets and pieces. I was really hoping someone had done a similar helmet design. There is a tutorial where someone makes a General Grievous head model, that seems to be the closest option but I’m struggling with how to get this into 3D and such. I knew trying to figure out 3D would be uphill but woooh – this is becoming very difficult to figure out :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I suggest breaking it down into separate sketches and then start modelling with the easier parts. I did a quick example here of just one part which might help.

2 Likes

Thank you for this – I am definitely suffering analysis paralysis at the moment.

I’m going to bed shortly so I can’t help you more tonight. Some of the other guys should be along soon with better advice.

For now, I’ll just add that you have some complex shapes there which will need various tools such as Loft, Intersect etc.

100% agree one the complex shapes part ha.

I think my best bet is to break this down into slices, get my base helmet shape from lofting those together, and then work on adding my more unique/geometric outer elements after that’s accomplished first.