Issue / Bug or just me creating new sketches?

Please provide a detailed description of the issue. Provide as much information as possible, including screenshots and/or screen recordings. For screen recording, we recommend using Loom (loom.com), an easy-to-use screen recording tool that works on Windows, iPadOS, and macOS. Loom videos can be easily embedded on the forum simply by pasting their URL. Topics without detailed information will be automatically closed. For subscription, billing, and licensing-related issues please open a support ticket using the link below. Please contribute to the community with meaningful, high-quality posts, and always use a respectful tone.

https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Hi team.
I’m on Windows 10.
This could be me, but I’ve been getting irked when I start a new drawing In Shapr3D. I of course click the new sketch button and draw. Say a rectangle. I then exit sketching.

I make sure nothing is selected and then I hit the New Sketch icon again… What I’m expecting is Sketch02 to activate so I can draw say a Circle. Trouble is that’s not what’s happening. Instead, Sketch01 activates and it’s dimensions and constraints show up, and rather than create a new sketch, it’s just loaded up sketch01 again.

I’m then having to do all sorts of gymnastics like turn off the visibility of sketch01 and then if I click New Sketch then it let’s me create a new sketch.

Am I not allowed to do multiple sketches in a row or something without any other operation in between? Sometimes I don’t want to create objects I just want to sketch out stuff, and then go back afterwards and create bodies afterwards.

In the current live version of the app you can only have one sketch per plane and when you start a new sketch using any method on the same plane the existing plane is reactivated.

In the parametric beta which will be rolled out to all users soon this behavior is changed and you can have multiple sketches in the same plane.

Excellent, that’s progress. Once I’ve started working with the little quirks in Shapr I’m getting better and faster at it. I did notice a couple of other issues. Somehow I’d managed to add two different materials to an object. I could see both materials in the palette as being assigned to the object. So it stood to reason, I select the one i don’t want and press delete. Nope. There was literally no way I could see to get rid of the offending material. So, solution, delete object and redraw which can’t be right either.

Also when going through the parametric operations list there was a helix I wanted to adjust. When you click the field to enter the amount of rotations, the field would not launch the normal pop calculator so I can do maths such as 360 x 10 for 10 revolutions. Instead you have to work out the number and then type it in. Can you fix these so it opens the same calculator tool as it would if you were clicking on a dimension to change it.

Regards Simon

In case of visualizations, the preferred way to get rid of materials is to reassign them to something existing. You can edit an assigned material and choose from the already used list to make that reassignment. (Note that due to a bug in the parametric beta making substantial edits after materials are assigned can result in “leaked”, leftover materials that can’t be cleaned up this way — we’ll fix that soon.) But you suggestion about delete makes sense, we could just reassign the affected surfaces to the default material — we’ll look into that.

In case of Revolve, clicking on the field again should open up the numpad. But you can also enter calculations into the freetext field as well, you could simply write 360 * 10 and it’d work the same.

Great thanks. I will try your suggestions. Thank you very much. Regards Simon.