Items list on iPad Pro

On iPad when sketching in 2D, in the Items list, the sketch appears in “Sketch plane 01” and is followed by a line indicating X sketches where X is the number of elements (lines and curves) that makes up the drawing. When sketching anew, this is quite handy to ensure a clean sketch and the count is quite logical. This line does not appear in the MacOS version.
I would like to be able to list the individual elements and manage them in the same manner as is possible with 3D objects.
I often use Shapr3D for 2D drawings, then convert the sketch to an SVG file for my CNC for woodworking. Unfortunately, very often, when creating a sketch using the PROJECT tool, I end up with many more sketch elements than what I can see. The number of sketch elements can be double the “normal” expected number. When some additional elements are easy to detect and can be manually removed, some remain inaccessible and they screw up the SVG file and the job on the CNC machine.
Here is an example of a clean drawing:

The sketch plane 01 contains 7 sketches which is correct.
The same drawing obtained from a projection of a 3D object gives 10 items:

Initially the drawing had 17 “sketches” or sketch elements but I was able to connect some dots and reduce the number to 10.
However, I have no clue as to what the 3 additional elements are and they create havoc for my CNC.
I would appreciate yoiur comments, suggestions or possible soluitions.
Thanks, Peter

Hi Peter,

One thing that can double the number of sketch elements is by projecting a body. That will add all edges from all faces. Do you see the doubling when you select just a face to project?

As far as other spurious segments, you should be able to delete each one, one at a time, to see where you have unexpected, or duplicated elements. That would give you an idea where those extra segments are coming from.

Thanks for the rapid response and the explanation about multiple edges after a projection. This is precisely why I wanted to promote the idea that Shapr3D would allow for the expansion of the, in my example 7 sketches, actually 7 sketch elements (4 lines and 3 arcs). And I did find that one arc (R=5 on the right hand side) was actually triple. This is a very simple sketch and it is sometimes easier and quicker to simple make a new drawing and count the sketch elements along the process to avoid problems down the road.
If the list of items could be expanded, redundant elements would be much easier to spot.
Another feature I’m looking for would be a way to guarantee the closure of a drawing. I’m using a portable CNC (Shaper Origin) and the machine only works with closed areas. Have a great day. Peter

Hi Peter,

The easiest way to make sure you have a closed sketch is to look at the sketch at a slight angle, i.e. not normal to the sketch. When you do that if you have a face—i.e. a closed sketch—it will appear lightly shaded in blue. If it is not a closed sketch, you will not see the blue tint.

If it is not shaded blue, look at the end points of each of the segments of your sketch. Connected segments have a little blue dot in the circle defining the end of the segment.

Here, the two on the bottom are connected, and the one with the X is not.
Zoom in to the spot where the lines are not connected.

Here the top line is in the correct place, so select it and lock it. Then select the open end points and then the coincident constraint. That will close them, and keep the line you locked in place. If you have closed the last open section of your sketch, it will become shaded (as long as you are not looking straight on, i.e. normal, to the sketch). Depending on what more you are doing with the sketch, you may want to unlock the segment you locked earlier, and make further adjustments to your sketch.

My apologies if this is something you already knew.

Thank you for your comments and ways to better understand the internals of sketches. Every bit helps. I’m kind of old school, from the days we had paper manuals that you could study. I understand why books are not around anymore. And lucliky there are people like you who provide almost on the spot answers.
I will probably continue to struggle from time to time when converting sketches to SVG files. The process to go from Shapr3D to an SVG file before importing the SVG into Shaper Tools Studio design tool is not difficult, just a bit lengthy, particularly when a very small discrepancy in the original sketch requires to start all over again. But you tips are certainly very helpful and I’ll test them out on my next design. Cheers