Lettering Graphics in Shapr3D [S3D]

Why would anyone be interested in anything as mundane as Lettering?

Count me in, the ability to use Letters and Numerals in Designs is essential.

My interests include recreating old forgotten projects, Images of Components used in Equipment Parts and Maintenance Manuals. For a good chunk in my working I worked as a Parts Book Editor Illustrator using old style Graphics Software. Fate determined this to be CorelDRAW [CD]. Like most software, with practice it became easier to use, but it was expensive on time and required continuous effort. The end result was 2D attempting to represent 3D. Regardless it proved capable of meeting demands of a Record breaking Powerboat circumnavigation of the World and for a Navy and their (still currently operating) Fast Patrol Boats, among many other projects. however it is simply not a patch on the S3D results. I like Computer Graphics but LOVE S3D.

What CD could do that S3D, at present cannot, was to allow typed input to be manipulated to provide the needed appearance. I want access to, at least a few choices, of Lettering and Numeral Collections. Creating the needed graphics within S3D has the advantage that along with run of the mill graphics it is easy to create Logos. All of the content here as been created using S3D, with the exception of the Old Images:

Tach.pdf|attachment (16.4 KB)

The Old

and the NEW               Glass removed

Yes, I could have spent longer marrying up the Dial and Body in the Old Image. But clearly it is not worth the effort while the New S3D version can be produced in similar time. The old image was created approaching 50 years ago [using IIRC CD v5 (?)]. Then my Libraries contained Groups that were interchangeable [1 Case with multiple different Dials], hence the separation shown. Creating a mask to hide the righthand extremities of the old Dial ‘under’ the Bezel would require me to get fully tuned in to Affinity Designer [AD]. Retaining access to the thousands of Files when moving from Windows to macOS forced the saving of CD.cdr Files, Adobe Illustrator was available. Much later when my Interest turned into wanting revival action they had to be saved again, this time AD was used. Surprising how many survived these events.
The recreation processes outcome failed to ‘cut the mustard’, for me, fortunately I seized the opportunity to get desired results using S3D. With only a couple of months experience there is much to learn, likely to be prolonged due to rapid development :sunglasses:

New to S3D Users may benefit from Sketching their own Lettering needs within S3D.
Doing this, creating the selection of Character Files shortly to be uploaded, certainly improved my Sketching skills particularly in the practicalities of Constraints.
When there are more than a few Character Graphics in a Design the need for being organised with regard to multiple objects becomes obvious. Like many aspects of computing there are numerous routes to achieve the same goal. Enjoy experimenting. Be sure to hit Folders/Groups/Items:

Untitled%204 bottom Left in S3D Display

Note:

1. Files contain only Bodies.
  2. The Numbers, e.g., 100 x 40 x 5 = Height 100mm Length horizontally 40mm x Width of average stroke 5mm [be aware Widths may vary slightly especially Diagonal strokes].
  3. Lowercase 100/55 signifies [H 100] those with Ascenders or Descenders and [H 55] those without either.
  4. The Files are Geometric rather than Artistic, I am not an Artist.
  5. Encouraging Users to create their own Character needs presents them with an opportunity to do it their way.
  6. The Bodies are Extruded to 0. 01mm, effectively approaching print on the page?
  7. 100mm was chosen because it simplifies both Sketching and Scaling.
  8. Be aware that some Height to Horizontal Length Ratios work well during Sketching, one that works well geometrically is Uppercase 11 x 6 x 1 [this will be added to the promised upload.
  9. Operate the Yellow Handle in Transform > Move / Rotate / Scale and in the Dimension Field that appears type ‘.1’ [or ‘0.1’ if you feel the need] then hit Enter, and 100mm becomes 10mm.
  10. Obviously choose the Divisor or Multiplier to obtain the desired result.
  11. This is a work in progress
  12. Begin, the rest is easy.

The Example, below, suggests one of the methods to speed up corrections /alterations. It also suggests using Folders to keep organised and have the ability to quickly locate specific Characters in your Designs.
You may wish to try this:
Tap the Character Folder [Lowercase-Uppercase-Numerals-etc] to Select/Highlight, this will include the entire content at the same time. > Transform > Move / Rotate / Scale > move the Copy switch to ON > use the Red or Green Arrow to Move Up or Down Copying as it does so.
This also attempts to include two Folders containing the Two Part Characters [i and j].
This removes these two Folders, and contents become parted from one another. You may choose to reunite them [place the appropriate ‘Base’ + ‘Dot’ in Folders and name the folders appropriately]? Be aware this is will possibly change with the upcoming upgrade to iPadOS.
The new Folder will now contain extra Characters every other one ending with ‘Copy’.
Select all of those ending in Copy and Move them to another New Folder, :bulb: good idea to learn how do do this efficiently using just a few further clicks?
Name the Folder appropriately, in the Example ‘the quick brown fox…’ is self explanatory. Sorting the Characters into order as shown is OTT in this case but it could be useful if there is a lot of text subject to frequent changes.
Surplus Characters could be Deleted or simply Hidden. Move additional groups of Characters to Folders as required.

Example L10055 x 40 x 5 QBFox Bodies.shapr (3.2 MB)

Note: FileName differences between iOS above and Shapr3D ‘Example: 100/55 x 40 x 5 QBFox…shapr’ [iOS rejects ‘/’ and ‘…’]

List of .shapr Files to follow: Note: Remember in the following iOS has ‘killed’ the ForwardSlashes

Both Cases 11 x 6 x 1+ Alt I t Bodies.shapr
Lowercase 10055 x 40 x 5 Bodies.shapr
Lowercase 10055 x 5550 x 5 Bodies.shapr
Numerals Punctuation etc Bodies.shapr
Uppercase 11 x 6 x 1 Bodies.shapr
Uppercase 100 x 50 x 5 Bodies.shapr
Uppercase 100 x 60 x 3 Bodies.shapr
Uppercase 100 x 75 x 15 Bodies.shapr
Uppercase 100 x 100 x 15 Bodies.shapr

4 Likes

Both Cases 11 x 6 x 1 Alt l t Bodies.shapr (2.5 MB)

Lowercase 10055 x 40 x 5 Bodies.shapr (1.4 MB)

Lowercase 10055 x 5550 x 5 Bodies.shapr (1.7 MB)

Numerals Punctuation etc Bodies.shapr (1.8 MB)

Uppercase 11 x 6 x 1 Bodies.shapr (1.5 MB)

Uppercase 100 x 50 x 5 Bodies.shapr (1.1 MB)

Uppercase 100 x 60 x 3 Bodies.shapr (1.0 MB)

Uppercase 100 x 75 x 15 Bodies.shapr (1.6 MB)

Uppercase 100 x 100 x 15 Bodies.shapr (2.1 MB)

5 Likes

In the above it has been noticed that Two Part Letters ‘i’ and ‘j’ were not placed in Folders.
Placing in Folders makes it easier to select both components at one click.
The following File has been appropriately updated:

Both Cases 11 x 6 x 1 Alt l t Bodies Updated.shapr (2.5 MB)

Please note that if the ‘I’ or ‘j’ Folders are copied it is likely that they will be lost leaving the component parts of these Letter separated.

2 Likes

Yikes, did anyone understand any of that? I didn’t and I’m a CorelDRAW expert .
Wow, I need to meet you in person and I am not kidding, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. can I ask what area of the world you live and if it be possible to I have a meet up because I don’t understand most of what you were talking about but would certainly like to

The purpose of this Thread was to expand the small range of ‘ready to use’ Lettering that exists on this Forum and hopefully help anyone who has immediate need in this regard.
I am sorry if you are confused, if you have not done so download:

Example L10055 x 40 x 5 QBFox Bodies.shapr (3.2 MB)

and you may be able to relate your findings to my words?

If you cannot resolve your problem please give as much information as possible about what you are attempting to do and what outcome you are experiencing.

If it is not expressly about using the downloaded File(s) it may be best to create a new
topic, there is plenty of help available here.

1 Like

Gelphyn,
This was not meant to show any disrespect, or anything other than total respect. I am in awe of your level of technicality (is that a word?) and I do some of this stuff for a living, and am just impressed by your level of technical expertise

Be assured that I did not sense anything awry with your response, so please do not have any concerns in that regard.
With my Shapr3D experience in days still in two figures I am certainly not an expert. Much of my ramblings above are about basics, e.g., In Lettering choosing dimensions that are helpful when both Sketching and Scaling to different Heights. This has been found to be useful, for me, in S3D.
In my view expertise builds from life experiences. From an early age I wanted to ‘make’ things particularly anything that involved using machines. Early efforts went unrewarded but later in life making collectable models from scratch, not kits, using metals, wood and leather enabled me to ‘keep the wolf from my door’. I never had any problem with visualising anything in 3D, or how to determine the best method of achieving a desired end result with tools and equipment available. My working life involved a multitude of opportunities to use my imagination and presented problems that needed techniques new to me. S3D is one such technique although only ever used for leisure.
With it’s fantastic array of ‘tools’ and processes S3D is like having a multipurpose machine on steroids. Without any fear of harm, creating damage or wasting precious materials it can behave visually like any machine I have ever used. This leaves scope for a whole catalogue of machines that I have never seen and may take a few lifetimes to experiment with?
So plenty of food for thought, and my mind is hungry.

Some of your questions were not answered because personally I feel this is not the place for certain subjects. Hopefully the S3D Team may in the future consider a ‘General’ section to the Forum where non S3D subjects could be discussed?