Text file - ADD TEXT

Alphabet.shapr (672 KB)

Hi guys,

For anyone looking to add text to their workspace, here’s a workaround until the function is added natively.

I put the characters on separate planes in groups of 5 or 6 to reduce slowdown.

Font is Arial

Anyone can feel free to upload their own fonts, numbers and non-alphanumerics

Enjoy

12 Likes

Thanks for this; sounds useful… However I can’t seem to DL the Shapr file. I always end up with a file titled text.txt…

Could someone supply directions how to DL this on an iPad Pro? Please.

Thanks,

Tommy

1 Like

Just launch forum through safari…

Thanks, worked!

Tommy

Can you explain the process used to create the text files in the first place? I need to create a 3D logo for my small business. Did you create the 3D characters in another program, save in an obj. File then import, or something like that?

Hi,
I wrote down A-Z and a-z in a Pages document, and took a screenshot
Imported the screenshot into Shapr3D and traced the letters using sketches
I used different planes and moved the image accordingly so as to keep it tidy. Using different planes, I was able to rename the sketches, and hide the groups - I find Shapr slows down significantly when a certain number of sketches/lines/points has been reached.
Cheers
^

1 Like

Thanks. I may have to give that a try.

Hi Rob
Just found your txt work around. A lot of work on your part.
Really well done.
Thanks for sharing the file.
Paul

1 Like

Look at this guys!

this is my workflow to create text & other shapes

Thanks for the info, I don’t own a pc though it’s mobile only for me

Where does this action save the file to on an iPad?
I go through the motions and it seems to indicate it has downloaded the file but I can’t find where it’s gone on the iPad.

Then just to preempt what’s going to be my next question.
Once I find the file how to I import into Shapr3D?

Thanks
John

I would love to see text added to shapr so it can be extruded easily. This is how I’ve been handling it:

Use OpenSCAD with this line:

text("Your Text For Shar3d", "Arial SANS");
  • Save file
  • Menu->Design->Render
  • File->Export->DXF

Then import that into Shapr3d place, scale, extrude etc, etc.

I am the Creator of a YouTube channel helping people use tech to make stuff. Over the past few years, one of the most common requests for videos, when I cover CAD, is the ability to add text to objects people want to 3d print. An easy way to customize existing STL objects and model and customize models with text would go a long way towards providing a compelling tool for 3d printer users.

To help you with a sense of impact my videos are approaching 4 million views and have covered most of the low to mid-market CAD solutions. I generally recommend parametric modeling tools for anything but the simplest requirements however after using your tool for a couple of days believe your product is innovative and unique in the market.

I have tried this approach and find that the sketches imported from OpenSCAD DXF files are overly complex and very slow to project and extrude. In addition, I found a similar problem when using FreeCAD Shapestrings to generate the text.

Given the elegance of the Shapr3D user interface, I am hopeful they engineer a better approach in the future. For example, perhaps a solution using SVG files generated by many programs on the platforms Shapr3D supports.

the elegance of the Shapr3D user interface

That’s the key! The workflow I envision for Shapr is as simple (and certainly complex to develop!) as you can imagine:

I click on a surface or layer, select the text tool on the side, then possibly a font (all fonts the system has available should be usable) and just start writing. The text is then automatically projected onto the selected layer or wrapped around the selected area (no matter what shape it has). That’s it.

From a user perspective, this would be a blessing! From a developer’s point of view, I don’t even like to think about it. :smiley:

This is AWESOME! Exactly what I was looking for…anyone know where to get numbers as well? I found some on here but they were formatted differently so I couldn’t extrude them into a face.

Hey - thanks for your patience, adding Text is finally possible. In beta at the moment, and you can try it out by downloading the beta through Testflight!
(Beta download instructions: https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/welcome-to-shapr3d-beta/7003)

https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/beta-5-30-advanced-fillet-new-text-tool-and-more/16287

OR wait until our next release comes out in the App Store

1 Like

How to do to get the 5.30 Beta for macOS?

Description and download guide of our beta program:
https://discourse.shapr3d.com/t/welcome-to-shapr3d-beta/7003

1 Like