Local wall instead of infill/emptiness

TLDR: see the image. I need walls where it’s red. Don’t mind the hexagon, I tried cuboid as well.

Long version:
Hello. Newbie here; studied the forum and watched the tutorial, still need help.
I use Shapr3d and Cura for slicing; There is an area, which I need to strengthen as much as I can, so Cura considers this area as a ‘wall’ when slicing.
I tried adding a ‘new body’ cuboid/hexagon (seen on the image); this hexagon exists in Shapr3d ‘inside’ my frame, but it disappears in Cura.
As for Cura, I can only set wall thickness/layers for the whole model, but I do not need it to be adjusted for the whole model.
Basically if I could ‘fill’ my hexagon’s emptiness, and then ‘extrude’ through it with the screw holes, that’d be great.

Appreciate if someone gives me a direction to look or name a technique I should use.

It’s not a 3D model issue, it’s a slicer issue. In addition to setting wall thickness (number of perimeters) and bottom/top layers, you can also set the infill density anywhere from 0% to 100%. Most slicers default around 15-20%.

I use Prusaslicer and one of the features is the ability to create a localized user determined area to make changes to the sliced object. For example, if I set the infill density to 25% for the majority of the part, I can set a specific area and volume within the object to let’s say, 80% infill. Not sure if your version of Cura has such a feature.

1 Like

Hi Alex,

In addition to what TigerMike has said… It looks like you have 2 bodies where the hexagon is in your Shapr3d photo. If you subtract the hexagon body from the larger body, you will have a hexagon shaped hole. (When you subtract, keep originals of removed bodies). Export these two bodies as .3mf (not STL).

When you import to Cura (sorry, I only know PrusaSlicer) you should have 2 individual bodies. If Cura allows individual settings per body (not whole print plate) you should be able to set your walls as you like. If not, you may want to try PrusaSlicer (free).

Thank you for your replies.
First, a note: I have 2 bodies where hexagon is located, that’s true, but that’s for the testing purposes. I was thinking having a ‘body inside a body’ can help me to achieve what I need (so I can like ‘fill the emptiness’ inside my hexagon body and it will be sliced accordingly)
TigerMike I thought I can add some specific ‘marker’ so the area is sliced differently. I know I can change infill destiny and wall thickness, but if I do this for the whole model, that’s a waste of filament. I only need it for this specific area.
@ Bob3DPO thank you for your suggestion, I will try PrusaSlicer

I believe you have the solution already with separated object.

Export the bodies separated as .3mf, then the relative position gets right (move them and drop them as a group [in to build plate from the expanse])

Use ‘Per Model Setting’ in Cura (found in the left vertical bar). You may have to configure the available settings.

Ps. no need to subtract…

/BK

1 Like

Thanks everyone, PrusaSlicer did exactly what I wanted with 2 bodies. Could not achieve the same with Cura (won’t blame it on them, probably my lack of knowledge).

1 Like