Loft - Operation

I’ve tried a loft with some complex shapes to go around a 90 degree bend. I could not get it to work.
So to verify that I am understanding this correctly I was able to do a simple loft of a 90 degree tube with round ends … no problem!
I tried a tube from rectangle to round end and No matter what I try it won’t work!!
The guide touches both sketches at the purple dot, which by the way is hard to see even on my 30" 4k monitor.
I’ve deleted this numerous times and recreated this on both my computer and ipad with the same result.

What the heck am I doing wrong? All it tells me is the resulting body wouldn’t be valid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s a way.

10 Likes

Hi TigerMike,

I don’t even know how many times I watched your video. Anyway, I’ve tried to follow it step by step which produces the loft but when I press done I get this error.

I really don’t get it. How is this self intersecting??? I’ve deleted and started over with the same result.

I’ve zoomed in and out looking for artifacts thinking it might be the problem but I’m at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Peter

Have you tried deleting the bottom rectangle before you loft? Might be worth a try.

Wanna see something interesting?

Hi Oregonnerd,

Thanks for the reply. No I haven’t, but what the heck, I’ll give it a shot. I didn’t think it was relevant as I had not selected it.

Peter

Can you share your project so I could inspect?

Hi Peter,

Not sure what you’re doing that causes the error. Here is my Shapr3D file for you to play with if you like. Per your answer to @Oregonerd’s question, note that I move the square sketch that is within the circle downward and out of the way before I do the Loft. Hope this helps. BTW, I’m using the non-parametric version at this time.
If you are using the parametric version, pay attention to @Xdrakosha’s example.

-Mike

Loft Exercise.shapr (17.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi Xdrakosha,

Interesting yes, but not particularly useful as my application does not do that.

Peter

Hi Xdrakosha,

I can send you the shapr file. Not much to it though.

It will very soon. As Istvan stated in a couple of weeks already.

If you don’t want to post it here you can send me as a private message here.
Just want to understand where exactly you’ve made a mistake.

Thanks Mike.

It could possibly be the idiot behind the keyboard. Here’s my file that doesn’t work.
LoftTest.shapr (9.1 KB)
:slight_smile:

Peter

Hi Xdrakosha,

Here is the file. I’m pretty new with the Shapr3d, so It could just be me (very likely).

LoftTest.shapr (9.1 KB)

Thanks,
Peter

Found the problem. You’ve messed with planes and guides. Making a video.

The problem is, you’re square sketch is outside the circle.

1 Like

You’re faster then me :slight_smile:

iPad Pro + Apple Pencil…what can i say :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi Mike,

Ok, now I’m really confused. I’ve attempted to open your file and Shapr tells me it needs to be updated.

Simple enough except Shaper tells me it is current and already up to date WT…???

Round and Round we go …reminds me of the early Windows!

I believe mine is the non-parametric as well. I’m not an engineer.

Peter

Thanks guys,

Really appreciate the help. I’m going to give it another shot a little later.

Peter