Looking for some help with a complex shape

Sink.shapr (504 KB)

Hey gang, I need your talented guidance. (Flattery helps, right?)
I’m working on household fixtures for a house I’m designing and am soon to build and live in. The fridge and wood stove were easy. But I’m stumped by the complex shapes of the ceramic bathroom fixtures, like the sink and the toilet :exploding_head:.
I’ve created front, top, and side sketches and used extrusions and intersect and gotten close. I’m having trouble getting the irregular bowl shape.
I’ve used Shell to hollow out the bowl and that almost gets it done but it is not the proper round shape.
I appreciate any help from the community. Thank you.
Attached is the file.

Some screenshots if that might help.

Yes that is a rather complex shape given the fact that you only have a front and side view. Here is something I came up with as far as providing some radii at the facets. The video shows your original tri-intersected body next to mine with chamfers. Another approach would be to use Loft. Let me know if this helps.
-Mike

1 Like

Thanks Mike.
That’s about where I got as well. It will certainly serve the purpose of general size and placement of a sink for home design. I was just taking the opportunity to improve my modeling.

Danny

Because shapr does not have independent scaling, the best solution for this is a loft operation.
Produce a solid shape of the bowl exterior by drawing the cross sections of the bowl parallel to the floor and separating them on separate drawing planes. Place MORE cross sections where the shape changes more radically, like near the bottom of the bowl and the foot.

Then shell the result.

If you want to get really fancy, you might consider modeling the negative space of the bowl as a positive, so that you can add the siphon trap , and then doing a shell to the outside of this shape. If the siphon contours are tight enough the shell should fill in the spaces between them and end up very much like an actual ceramic toilet.

Hi Danny,
Here is a new version. I changed the order of intersecting extruded bodies and the same for doing chamfers. It looks much better now, especially when viewed without the body lines. Yes, Loft is the way to go but the key component is having multiple cross section sketch planes. Here’s the best one can do with having only perpendicular sketches as in this case.
-Mike

Thanks for thoughts.
Loft definitely is the tool for getting the nice organic curvy shapes.

That looks nice Mike.
Ill keep playing.

I think i got it.
Thanks to you all.

3 Likes

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Tom