Materials are here!

Daniel, I just bought a Surface Pro 7+ here as I’m waiting for the new Ipad Pro as well (to retire this old work-horse) and much of this is because I’ve been patient and trustworthy long enough with your hard work in bringing a super easy concept modeller out. I hope now the Shapr will give me the opportunity to start a whole new product development life, just try to clean up the ui for us so once there is plenty it won’t be cluttered or seemingly “all over the place”.

My subscrition is coming and I look forward to see materials! :+1:

2 Likes

Hi! Great feature at last! I am using shapr on daily basis as my main modelling and presentation tool. ( also for preparinng CAM trough fusion )
My short opinion: The way how shaper use the space, is better than Cadmio, more freedom in rotation, environment building, etc. This is good and usefull. The materials are looking good. Changing color on more materials, like metal. wood, would be nice.
We need texture rotation, specially for wood, because wood has allways a longitudinal fibre,( brushed aluminium has also a directional texture). I did attached two models, modelled in shapr, rendered in Cadmio for better understanding. Of course more wood species would be welcome, as nut, ash wood, pine wood, etc.

I am wondering, if there is a possibility for controlling the light source intensity, shadow density…. And would be nice, if we can have more than one light source, for interior design setups… Or some light material… Reflecting colour from an object to the other makes more realistic the image too, if there are possibilities for that.

Its a great step forward, I am looking for the progress!

12 Likes

Controling the light source and also change gloss gradual would be good.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to have the beta download link on the App Store again please? I filled out the survey today and went to the link but when I clicked on the first one in the App Store I wasn’t able to get back to the original page with the links, so I couldn’t get the beta.

1 Like

You don’t need to worry, we have plenty of upgrades cooking for the modelling part too :slight_smile:

The performance of the Visualization is absolutely not optimized yet, as the release note for the beta also says. Of course, there is also a limit to what a device can do. In the end, it will run worse e.g. on an iPad mini 4 compared to the M1 Pro, and it’s also possible to get low framerates if you load huge amount of models into it, but you won’t need to buy a tower to use the feature.

I would like to also point out, that the team working on it, isn’t taken from the modelling teams. It’s a very different knowledge you need for a tool like this, meaning a different team works on it, therefore it doesn’t impact what we have planned for modelling at all. :slight_smile:

To answer the question why is it being developed: photorealistic rendering is in the top 5 most requested features by our users. Maybe not everyone will use it, but a lot will. It will lead to a better UX as you don’t have to export / import to another app, and ultimately also save money for the user, as there won’t be a need to pay for a separate app just for rendering.

9 Likes

This new feature makes a lot of sense to me.

At the end of the day Shapr gives his best in the quick concept ideation, and having the possibilities to make a quick render in the same app makes it even better, with the possibility to iterate the design quicker! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That’s exactly the goal :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I filled out the survey and installed the beta via test flight but I don’t see where you add materials. Can someone please help me?

Hey - thanks for filling out the survey and giving the beta a try

You can find materials 3 ways

All 3 will lead to the same place. Hope this helps

2 Likes

All trust in you, just making sure this will be a unique product in the way I’ve found it. I.e. most likely the easiest, friendliest tool for working on ideas and I hope it leaves room for those out there with less computing power yet with plenty of access for rendering/visualization for those going farther.
I would hate to see Shapr going cloud because it out-grew itself.
Cudos!

2 Likes

While it’s not impossible that in the future we’d have a browser+cloud based version as well (not planned for now), but even in that case it would be “just” another platform, and would certainly not replace the native apps. We see a lot of value in the native implementations, eg. this is how we can provide the best UX and best graphics performance, which are particularly important for us.

6 Likes

Ps.: we’d love to see how you are using this feature, so please keep sharing your designs here and of course on social media if you want to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great feature, many thanks. :+1: :clap:Looks exciting and so easy to use.
As it was a rainy Sunday, I spend a few hours modeling a tap just to try materials.
Looks great! I chose polished aluminium to get the real polish look instead of the chrome.
Real time rendering is very fluid on my MacBook air m1 on this simple design.

9 Likes

Wow, really nice! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Here is a example on why material rotation is imortant in wood drawings

All look like one piece and the herringbone disappear

2 Likes

How much change can we expect in the released version exactly?

Cadmio does the same but way better on the iPad, and actually this looks like a cheap rip-off. On desktop there are plenty other options (also free). Sorry to be the bad guy here, but I was really looking forward to this feature and the result is quite disappointing imho. The teased images a few months before looked a lot better, what happened?

1 Like

Why do you think that? What’s definitely missing is the Depth of Field effect, it’s coming soon.

2 Likes

I’m talking about the images at the end of this article:

I haven’t noticed Depth of Field here, but the overall shading looks nicer.

A few hints:

1. Geometry matters a lot. If your geometry has sharp edges it won’t look good. Add a small radius fillet.
  2. Might worth experimenting with adding a planar object under the geometry with the default material or some other materials, because shadows matter a lot.
  3. Camera angles matter a lot.

We will have much more materials of course once we release it, and even more in the next few months, but if you keep 1,2,3 in mind, you can get amazing results already.

If you can’t get decent results we would love to take a look and help and/or debug the issue. This is a beta, there is a lot we want to improve, and we can learn a lot from your experience.

5 Likes

I’ve had a quick play with the materials and like what I see so far. If I can add to the suggestions already made:

1. Environments, ability to import them and rotate them to get the best lighting options and angles.

2. Bump maps with the textures, that is if it works with CAD?

1 Like