Materials are here!

6 Likes

The release will actually depend on the beta feedback, the goal of it is to see what is necessary to add / change.

Please also don’t forget, same way as the modelling part, Visualization will be a continuous project, meaning you can expect fixes, new features, new materials etc. regularly. The first release won’t mean that’s it, and it’s done :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:sunglasses:

8 Likes

On the ipad the only optiones for this is Cadmio and Jig.
A big benefit of having it as a native feature is that you can still adjust on the model after doing the first render. And you don’t have to jump between two apps and keep an overview over iterations.

It might not fit for you, but it fits for a lot of other people. If they can also add USDZ export with these materials, it will really be an awsome tool.

My wishlist (and as many other have pointed out)

• USDZ export AR view. This is on the top of my list for a reason. On the Ipad there are litle to none who does this with materials.
  • Rotating of materials
  • Environment
  • Better lighting controls (it often feels blown out? And har to see details.)
  • Improvement of the materials…. Not all of them look too good.
  • Improved UX
3 Likes

Which ones would you like to see improved?

The black marble looks amazing and is one of my favourites.

For the other ones it’s mostly nitpicking.

1. I do think lighting and reflection might have something to do with it. Some of the materials look blown out/overexposed? Also without an environment or not ideal HDRI might be the cause.
  2. To small sample? . Some of wood pattern is repeating to much

I could probably do a cadmio vs shapr side by side materials comparison.

Again it’s just nitpicking. I can see this feature becoming a really useful tool as it progress.

I’m also looking forward to support for material orientation, in order to show grain direction in woodworking designs.

I could easily understand if that feature isn’t part of the initial release. The current feature set is useful for a variety of purposes without it.

If you’re looking to understand the use for grain direction, here’s an article and accompanying video that discusses some of the reasons to communicate the direction in drawings, and how to do this in Sketchup.
Showing Grain Direction without Spoiling the Drawing
Grain Direction

The door and drawer details on this page show the importance of grain direction in order to visualize the design. Using a different grain direction here would arguably make more of a difference than using a different material (e.g. a different wood species).

Here’s how to set grain direction in Fusion 360. In addition to aesthetic concerns, the grain direction that’s illustrated in the faces on the top screenshot in that article isn’t structurally sound: it’s a short-grain piece that would snap under stress. (Also, both the top and bottom screenshots are impossible for solid-wood construction. The grain directions shown in the edges on the top and bottom screenshot match the directions shown on the faces on the bottom and top screenshot, respectively. That’s a different issue, and there’s a comment further down that page about how to fix this.)

The first screenshot in the Fusion 360 page illustrates another issue with leaving out control over grain direction. To a woodworker or someone who understands wood properties, the version with the wrong grain direction just looks wrong. I look at it and think, oh, that wood is going to snap. It’s hard to look past that to other features of the design.

Not my field and I don’t know if it’s as important in this area or whether Shapr3d is used here – I believe that board direction for flooring and walls may also be important in archviz.

2 Likes

Just wanted to emphasize that Shapr needs plenty of work as is but Laci explained their different teams. Of course materials is what I want as well, but…
Great product, great people behind. Goes hand in hand most often. :wink:

1 Like

Hi,
after a few days playing with materials, I would say material is definitively a great new feature for Spahr3D. :star_struck:
Of course, it has some limitations, but it is so easy to use in order to get a first almost photo realistic view. The trick is in object placement relative to the light, so you have to test various orientation to get the best result.
As a beta test for material, I took my favorite earbud that I modeled a few month ago, and just add texture + create a simple scene. It truly takes only a few minutes to get the result which looks really gorgeous. I also create a snapshot of one of the view in the export mode as a comparison and to show the improvement :smiley:. For a beta version, this is really good and stable.

For the wishlist and improvement:

• more materials :
    • copper for my technical designs and coated copper for coated coper wires
    • anodized finish on aluminium for various colors
    • translucent silicone (the eartip on the rendering are supposed to be translucent silicone)
    • painted metal and painted wood
  • a numerical value for the scale slider on material, because once you change it, there is no way to reselect exactly the same value for an other part
  • transparency and color control on every material : thin plastic parts are translucent in real life and there are so many different metal’s colors
  • material orientation
  • show / hide part from the material view (at present, we have to quit the material mode to hide/show a part and it is convenient to hide/show when selecting materials)
  • move / rotate part from the material view to ease scene creation and optimisation (at present, we have to quit the material mode to move a part)

In my opinion and for my usage as an engineer, this is really a great function, in the spirit of Shapr3D : easy to start with, easy to use and creating very good results at presenting almost photo realistic images of your design instead of the previous export mode, at minimum effort for the user. Experts in 3D rendering and ray-tracing will find a lot of limitation, but the same way Shapr3D is not Solidworks for parametric modeling.

Thanks to the dev team :+1:

4 Likes

:guitar::notes::heart::man_dancing:t3::partying_face::sunglasses:

8 Likes

7 Likes

Makes everything sooo much easier for others to visualise projects, love it.
Water and glass is something that is always tricky, would love to see a glow function to represent light shining out from a fitting maybe being able to adjust cone size and strength and colour of light.

6 Likes

Yes! That will definitely improve the UX.

2 Likes

Hi

It appears that for texture mapping you’re using some basic box projection. this is ok until objects are at certain angles.

I would like to suggest a sort of a gizmo tool that could be used to rotate the box mapping and scale the box projector on individual axes. Ideally each body object would have this property and the projection coordinates would follow body transform.

however since there are no groups or even a full body selection method, im not sure if there is such thing as body coordinate.

Also would be nice to be able to see materials even when modeling. Not shadows just some basic lighting and materials.

For the ui some hierarchical structure would help so that we don’t have to go through the whole list of materials every time.

And finally a custom material where we could load image for albedo/diffuse.

Anyway, materials are lovely addition

maybe a better picture to illustrate problem

edit:
imagine gizmo like this, where the box is the projector and follows body transform. Gizmo would be only visible when in material edit mode and ideally it would be only showing edges of the box/transparent.

edit2: i just noticed there actually is a dropdown menu for material filtering, so thats nice.

4 Likes

Hi,

Did you try the filter? Would you like something different or more filtering options?

3 Likes

Finally! Still pretty basic but i’m really excited where this feature will go in the next month.

4 Likes

Yeah I didn’t notice the filter at first. I think it’s ok :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve been playing around a lot with this feature in the last few months. Can’t get enough of it.

11 Likes

Agree … too much fun!!! :+1:t2::sunglasses:

6 Likes

10 Likes