Motorcycle wheel hub

I’ve been designing a front hub for my motorcycle (chopper) for quite a while now, and I think I might have the design about finished.
Hopefully we’ll start machining it in the next week or so.
I modeled the spokes, Akront 21” rim, and vintage Firestone tire that I’ll be running to get a good idea of how it will all look assembled.

I’m excited to make this thing a reality, and it was all done in Shapr3D :+1:t2:

Here’s an early version of the design, using AR preview to “mock it up.”

And here’s the inspiration…

10 Likes

LOVE IT! So much that I even tweeted it: https://twitter.com/istvan_csanady/status/1354050156858138624?s=20 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks @Istvan!

AR preview and export has helped me visualize things like handlebars, exhaust… really anything I can come up with. It makes it so much easier to communicate a design.

6 Likes

OMG, this is awesome… I love it.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve had the pro version for several months and have significant problems using the software to do anything worth while. I’m a 75 year old mechanical engineer who has been around most 3D design packages since the 80’s . I have not been able to have it click in my mind. I mastered auto cad 2 d years ago But never had a job that allowed me to actually operate the software, now I’m determined to use it . I think I need a close by coach or a dedicated course or a written Manuel to get me into the necessary mindset. Do you have either of these two? If not what other ideas do you have to help me?

Love the idea of the software, frustrated !!!

Chuck Hueil
Loveland Ohio 45140 USA

Hello Chuck,

We can always help at support@shapr3d.com

You can also check out the following resources

Manual
Shapr3D Help Desk We list every tool and how to use them.

Shapr3D YouTube channel

It has a variety of videos:

If in trouble, suppport@shapr3d.com - Hope these help

I had the front end apart doing some maintenance, so I figured it was a good opportunity to use AR and project the full modeled wheel.

We’re working on a small test piece to check part of the process on a 4th axis before we machine the actual hub.

6 Likes

I love how you are using AR. It’s one of the most useful use cases I’ve seen.

1 Like

Been meaning to ask: Are you going to put a disc break on front or are you omitting front breaks?

@Oregonerd no front brake, just rear.
Only thing on the bars is the throttle. Foot clutch/hand shift.
It’s fun!

1 Like

Live dangerously. Lost my front tire grip at 70 in a 25 at 17. 60 now I feel like 80. Careful having fun. Most of your stopping power is in the front… but you know that.

1 Like

So I finally got the ball rolling on this.

After several months a friend of mine had the opportunity at his work to begin machining it for me. I was able to export it from Shapr right there on the spot, and make design tweaks on the fly as needed.

I then spent untold hours wetsanding and polishing everything. The hub, the rim, the custom stainless spokes…

It was surreal lacing up a wheel with a hub I designed in Shapr3D.

10 Likes

Whoa! Beautiful.

3 Likes

That is awesome!

2 Likes

That’s really beautiful, you’re clearly an artist at heart. Wish I had that level of dedication, but life here is very busy and still excellent. Thanks for showing such quality results!

1 Like

Thanks, I can’t wait to start the next project!