Move Gizmo to stay on the screen

I’d like to request that the move gizmo which defaults to the centre of an object, to stay on the screen when you zoom in.

The problem that this feature will solve:

When zooming in to move something by smaller increments, it’s impossible as the gizmo remains in the center of the object. This makes it a pain to move large objects by small amounts as zooming back automatically increases the increment that it moves and you can’t see what your doing even if you switch the

Brief description of the outcomes that you expect from this feature:

Move gizmo to stay on the screen.

What can’t you achieve without this feature?

My sanity.

Is this a workflow blocker for you? Is this why you can’t use Shapr3D for work? Is this slowing you down?

It’s not a blocker, I make it work but I really don’t like this part of the workflow as it’s very inefficient compared to other software.

2 Likes

Why don’t you move the gizmo there?

I experience this as well. Many times I need to zoom way in to select the correct object to move, then zoom out to grab the gizmo and zoom back in to place it. Think long thin bodies next to other bodies, etc.

Maybe a possible option would be to apply the gizmo to the first double-tapped feature of the body you’re trying to move.

Like the Align tool (when using iPad, Mac with Wacom behavior is different in my case) when double tapping a single body to align, the align tool bases the alignment feature on the double-tapped feature that is used to select the body.

Could the gizmo possibly be placed in that same manner?

2 Likes

Hi All,
I also agreed that not having to constantly zoom in and out to select and move the gizmo would be a huge improvement.

I am often working very zoomed in and every time I’m wanting to move an object I have to zoom out, move the gizmo and zoom back in. And then sometimes I do a bad click and loose the selection and have to re-select, zoom back out, move the gizmo and zoom back in. Quite a bit of hassle.

It would be a real improvement if the gizmo would stay onscreen.

Thanks

1 Like

Because I completely forgot you could do that and now I feel silly for both posting this and for struggling like mad with my latest model :sweat_smile:.

Moving the gizmo automatically would be a very aggressive move. The center point is often carefully selected. Moving it somewhere automatically would discard it. Considering that moving the gizmo is a single drag interaction, I think this is a good solution for this issue.

1 Like

@Istvan I misread @Shaun request.

It would still be nice to have the initial gizmo placement selection based during double tap of the body feature, within the camera view, versus the gizmo snapping to the dimensional bounding box center of the body.

However, the more I think about it (selecting various edges/faces and initiating the move tool) this would be difficult to implement.

Maybe an opposite of “Zoom to Selection”, where it brings the gizmo into the camera view, versus camera to selection?

I wonder if others experience this other than @WrigleyS

2 Likes