My Custom Text Helper

Many thanks for this very useful app. Currently, the straight-line segments on long curves, as you would find in an ‘O’ are quite long. I assumed that most fonts are defined as splines and hence the dxf version would be similar. If that’s not possible, is it possible to add a setting so that curves render at a higher resolution?
By the way, I found that the iFont app. is very good for finding and downloading fonts to the iP

1 Like

I noticed that the Mac version requires an M1. Is that because you didn’t have an Intel Mac to test a fat binary on?

No, it doesn’t. It works on Intel macs too.

But it would be super helpful to understand why you thought that. Do we mention this somewhere?

Available on macOS Big Sur only.

I also thought it was only for M1.
Luckily I have a dozen macs at my disposal and one is an M1 I ran it there works well.

PS: Using it on a mac you realize why using an IPAD is awesome.

1 Like

To get smooth curves on the text, which unfortunately doesn’t seem possible with this app, I’ve found a way to get this from Inkscape (free app. but not on iPad). See my post on “Import” shapes/text from .svg to avoid tracing

Hi!

Shapr3D runs on all Big Sur supported macs:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp833?locale=en_US

There performance is definitely better on M1, so if you have multiple macs, I would run it on that one.

I have one enhancement request for the Text To Drawing iPad app: please add style selections for the text (bold, italics, etc.). For example, there’s no way to generate text in Helvetica Neue Bold.

Good idea. I will look into that

1 Like

Great! I had to use Inkscape on my Mac to do it last night, but I’d much rather have a solution on my iPad for portability.

Is there any way to have the drawing inserted into an existing design from the Share panel, or do I have to save it to Files and then insert it within Shapr3D? I’m hoping this will become a moot point before too long if and when Shapr implements copying between designs.

For me, it imports directly to Shapr3D. Just select Shapr instead of files when you export the text.

Right, but it imports into a new design rather than an existing one. At least it did for me. And there’s currently no way to move objects or sketches between designs except by saving them from one design to a file and then loading that file into the other design.

The Shapr3D folks may be able to elaborate more on how this works. But I “believe” if you have a drawing already open in Sharp3D it will ask if you want to import in into the existing drawing or create a new drawing. At least that is how it works for me.

You’re right. Apparently when I tried it last night, the design wasn’t open. That’s pretty handy.

Yepher, I hope the Shapr folks sent you a t-shirt and offered you a job!

1 Like

Actually I think we did :thinking:

2 Likes

GREAT! Thank you so much! This makes things a lot easier and much faster! Purchased it!

Thank You!

@Yepher: Did you ever look into supporting bold, italic, etc.?

@Yepher

1 Like