New features (o;

Good afternoon :wink:

Using Shaper3D since few days and like it very muchā€¦so I could convince my employer to but it for one year now (o;

Coming from FreeCAD Linux (and I still use it form time to time) I miss following features:

Non-uniform scaling
Seems it was requested since over a year now with an answer telling it was in the timelineā€¦any progress on this? Especially for projecting text onto a non-planar surface this would be usefulā€¦but think in other areas as well (o;

Multiple move/rotate with copy
When I watched the motor design tutorial it made me wonder why there isnā€™t an option to specify the number of copies instead of selecting/moving one by oneā€¦
Especially when rotate/copy is involvedā€¦like I need 23 copies around a 360Ā° circle.

Last but not least, an excellent small feature I like about FreeCAD:

Numeric input with calculation
This is really a time saver when drawing in FreeCAD. Instead of sketching first onto a piece of paper and calculate measurements and distance, I can enter in FreeCAD something like:

(23.7 - 17.85) / 3

Other than that I love Shapr3D so farā€¦wellā€¦automatic iCloud sync between iPad and macOS would be nice (o;

But I am pretty sure more enhancements will comeā€¦just my opinion what I am missing during the transition to Shapr3D (o;

7 Likes

Something that popped up during my loudspeaker ball designā€¦which is btw. really fun doing in Shapr3D :wink:

Probably many users here have a mechanical engineering or designer background and know exactly what to do at each stepā€¦

ā€¦butā€¦ (o;

How about a snapshot function to save the current state of a design when the design is openā€¦so I could revert back to a known previous stateā€¦

I know that I can duplicate a design when I think that I am satisfied with the current progress and continue with the copy so that I can go back if I messed it upā€¦which happens quite often as I am still in the learning phaseā€¦but switching back and forth isnā€™t quite intuitive (o;

cheers
richard

1 Like

Almost forgot what I like better in FreeCAD (o;

To move/rotate the view I just use the mouse buttonsā€¦no additional pressing of the Shift key for rotating the view.

When set to ā€œgestureā€ in FreeCAD you rotate it with the left mouse buttonā€¦which couldnā€™t be used here of courseā€¦but the middle mouse button is not usedā€¦

Or make it a setting in preferences how someone would like to use the LMR mouse buttonsā€¦

We are planning to add / refine many navigation options in the coming months, this is also on the table :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent :slight_smile:

Gets then even more fun working with your great software :wink:

Ah forgot something again (o;

For my knob test to add the notches for a better grip I could just add a circle, angled it the same amount as the base knob, extrude the cutout and then rotate/copyā€¦

As the number of copies/angle is missingā€¦what about adding a ā€œRepeatā€ command so the last manual copy/rotate or move is done again? That way my knob wold have been finished in no time :wink:

And as the designs are stored inside Shapr3D and not as regular files (well they are actual files on macOSā€¦just weird naming/directories ;o)ā€¦

The home screen might work if you just have some few design filesā€¦but I would like to have the possibility to add folders there as well (and folders within folders ;o)ā€¦

So in my case of my openpnp machine I have the main folder and within subfolders for the parts belonging to a certain axis or tool function.

I already see the mess in my home screen coming when all different designs not belonging together fill up one screen :wink:

1 Like