New Ipad are dropping today. :)

The problem I have with the Zugu case is there’s no secure storage for the pencil that allows it to keep charging. The best I found for that is a CaseBot case.

I have the Zagg keyboard case for my 12.9 Pro and love it. It protects the edges of the iPad and can be removed from the keyboard with the iPad.

This one?

Yeah, I can’t bring myself to pay $1800 minimum on a tablet. I was even reluctant to pay $1400 for the 512GB model with Wi-Fi (I have an iPhone for wireless tethering and Wi-Fi in my RV).

1 Like

@Laci_K are you guys seeing big difference between the different configuration with storrage and ram?

My phone currier only has the 128,256 and 512GB models avvalible.
But i got FOMO about the 1TB since it has double the Ram.

Is Memory Swapping sufficent on the 256GB? Does it make up for some of the lacking in ram? Or do you have to have 512GB model for the memory swapping to work properly?

I know M2 with 8GB is overkill for IpadOS anyway.
But I am trying to future proof myself for extra features in shapr3d, more pro apps or even ray tracing rendering in the future.

We don’t have M2s yet, but the beta iPadOS 16 is out on M1, with all the features except the pencil hover. It will be released next monday, so you can try it out for yourself.

During my testing, I didn’t see a big difference. Virtual memory is a lot slower than the real RAM, so it doesn’t help much during modeling / visualization, but you might be able to import, or export models which previously crashed the app.

If you have an M1, it’s not a huge upgrade, so I would be sticking with it, and upgrade to M3 or even 4 once those are out, unless something very important feature is added to only those. Usually it doesn’t worth it to upgrade every gen.

My iPad is a 2020 pro, so I’m strongly considering getting the new one. Ray tracing is the big upgrade attraction for me. I can sell my 2020 to recover about a third of the outlay. I was going to hold off for a larger possibly 14” ipad, but it seems we wont see that for another year at least.

Just buy this! I have been using it for a month now and it turned my Nomad Leather Folio into the perfect case for me. When you don’t want your Apple Pencil to charge, just insert it upside down.
Spigen Apple Pencil Holder

Hi, I’ve just ordered an iPad Pro 12.9" M2 + Apple Pencil 2! Did you introduce that promised Hover feature to Shapr3D since then? Especially the idea suggested by TheBum where it could act as a helpful “anchor hooking preview” to better aim at any small points! Or maybe other ideas you may have.

The hover works great!

Yes, it’s live, and works really well.

2 Likes

Great! Can’t wait to test this and feel Shapr3D at the tip of a Pencil :wink:
Shapr3D is really one of my few “wow” moments across 30 years in the computer world. The first was the graphic user interface with the mouse, on the first Macintosh I saw. The second was seeing Photoshop (version 3 I think) in action on it. And very few moments like that afterward. Thank you so much for continuously improving this killer app!

3 Likes