New iPads

Apple just announced new iPads today! And also an Apple Pencil Pro with new features like squeez , haptic feedback and barrel role ! Looking forward what will be the updates in Shapr 3D reagarding the new Apple Pencil Pro! I am very exited about the squeeze feature as it will allow quick access to commands or to switch between modelling and visualisation mode !

2 Likes

Shame it only works with the new iPads. Typical Apple lol

2 Likes

@automatom Yep. I have an M2 iPad Pro, so I guess I’m out of luck. I found the double tap feature on the older pencil to be more of an annoyance than a help.

The cross-compatibility, or rather lack there of, between items in their catalog is completely non-sensical. Just another way to get the consumer to spend more.

1 Like

Yeah :sweat_smile:. I was hoping that they would give it to older models as well ! But the didn’t :slightly_smiling_face:‍:arrow_up_down:

I just upgraded from a first generation iPad pro to the brand new M2 1Tb with the 16GB ram to run shapr better in late February… wonder how much they’ll try to fleece me for to upgrade to the new model haha

Yeah they shot themselves in the foot with the M1 chip because 4 years later it is still capable of pretty much anything most people throw at it, so now they’re using accessories to try and force people to upgrade.

Incidentally I spec’d up a new iPad Pro and you can’t get the nano texture glass unless you buy the 1TB or 2TB models. Absolutely zero reason for this other than forcing the upsell.

1 Like

The new iPad Air M2 is basically a rebranded iPad Pro M2 so there is probably no reason the new Pencil Pro shouldn’t work on yours other than Apple being Apple

1 Like

This is the worst regret every time a new Apple product gets launched! So try to buy them immediately after their launch :sweat_smile:

I only got the 1Tb because that and the 2Tb have the 16GB ram, all the other models have 8GB and after reading these boards for years about performance the only common answer was it was RAM limitation that caused it to be slow and crash… until the new update that is haha Didn’t even know about nano texture glass hahaha.

Hated that I couldn’t migrate the Apple pencil and had to fork over for the Apple pencil 2 though… and immediately turned off hover, almost gave me a damn seizure trying to use it in shapr for the first time.

1 Like

Ironically this exact question popped up on my reddit feed, and apparently apple is being apple because it will work on the air m2 but not the pro m2 haha

You may be right, but I’ve been perusing quite a few different Tech sites today, and there is a lot of speculation that moving the FaceId hardware from the short side to the long side (top when in landscape mode) required relocating the magnets and charging coils so the old Pencil would no longer line up correctly. Which could well be true. Pretty sure Apple makes a hefty profit on everything they sell, including Pencils and they wouldn’t mind selling a bunch of Pencils to existing customers who (as many have mentioned) probably don’t really need to upgrade to a new iPad just for a little more speed.

Also, historically, Apple seems to hate having a lot of similar products clogging up their logistics chain — especially in the Tim Cook era. And now they have 4 different Apple Pencils which is very unusual.

1 Like