New Subtract bug

For whatever reason, Subtract reverts to None every time I access it.
I want to remain on"-Removed Bodies" just like it used to.
iPad Pro, app version 5.601.0.6803

2 Likes

We reported about that in gamma community. Answer is “this is how it will work from now on”.
As I can understand they not planning to revert this back. Looks like we just have to used to it. I already did.

That’s disappointing to be honest. It’s always helpful for software to remember your preferences.

Is it the same with the mirror and all Boolean operations?

1 Like

I totally agree !!!

I think this operations were resetting to their defaults for ages.

Not a big deal for me. Already got used to.

If it works for you, great. It’s a bid deal for me…along with a number of changes that have set back efficient workflows for many of us.

1 Like

Everything is not a big deal for me. I’m easy learner :slight_smile:

I remember you were excited to dive into new parametric world. What do you think about all that now?

I’m an easy learner too. But this is clearly going backwards and results in extra steps. I’ve been writing software for years, and remembering what a user did last or does most of the time is programming 101.

1 Like

The problem is they can’t pleased everybody. As I understand there were a lot of reports from users about the Boolean tools keeping unwanted bodies. So they did this change.

And yes, I’ve just refreshed that info in my head and that’s true for all Union, Subtract, Intersect, Mirror, Split Body and Replace face tools

But you implied that Mike may not be an easy learner. Mike has been an awesome resource here, along with another guy, Tom, who helped me immensely.

A lot of people here have questioned some of the design decisions, and it isn’t because they aren’t easy learners.

Not at all. I just say that this is very easy for me to change my habits. Mike is very good in modeling and I learned a lot from his comments and videos.

Let’s just say I’m a super easy learner :). Had no intentions to offend anybody.

You guys have to remember that everything I say I translate in my head from Ukrainian to English. A lot of normal things for us seem rude for you.

Much like the dutch, brutally honest folks. I can’t speak another language so you’re already well ahead of me haha

Worked for Dutch client for last 10 years :rofl:

I also speak Russian (know the language of your enemy) and Polish :slight_smile:

I’m half Hungarian and half German and speak four languages, but I’m an easy learner and figured out how to interact early in life. :slightly_smiling_face:

At the end of the day, this roll-out has been a disaster. On the first day I notified tech support of my concerns, and they just said, “Sorry, that’s how Shapr3d works.” Ok. Then I’m told that i can model exactly the same was as before, but by the way, here are a bunch of tutorials. I can tell from the current version that everything is stored in a database, and that’s great,. but the interface is so bad and confusing.

What some people forget is that a lot of us aren’t “solid modelers”. We are industrial designers, and Shapr3d is meant to just be another tool in the tool box like a hundred other tools. That’s why I purchased Shapr last fall- I could hit the ground running. I even evaluated Solidworks at the time, but thought Shapr would be a better fit. But after looking at this version, I now bought a Solidworks license because their parametric interface made more sense to me as a programmer. I’ll use Shapr until October, and I still think it’s very cost effective, but cost was never an issue anyway. If someone never used Shapr before, they’ll never know what it used to be, so it’s all good.

1 Like

Perhaps I would prefer Solidworks too but they don’t have version for Mac (not saying about iPad). I used to use Fusion in the past but it’s so sluggish and crashes a lot (at least on Mac).

So here is the things I like in Shapr3D:

• It’s quite fast. Much faster for my designs than Fusion 360. Just to open Fusion it takes ages.
  • It has dark theme (very critical for me) and clean intuitive and modern interface.

The question for me is, why was it changed and what’s the advantage about the change?

As I can understand they looking for universal workflow for most users. But there always will be minority of users who wont like the changes.

I don’t know why they don’t like the idea to add more options in settings menu and let users decide how they want to use the app.

I can name a lot of settings I would like to change if I could. Just to increase my productivity even more.

2 Likes