No bodies to export

Hey all,

I’ve just started modelling using shapr, so this may be a basic question… but I’ve created an object, and when I try and export it as a STEP to print, I get an error message that reads ‘No bodies to export’, and ‘create a body and turn on it’s visibility to include it in the export’.

I was working with another STEP file (a box) that I was adding holes to. And I did mange to joing them together on a single layer that says ‘body’.

I’ve turn off the visibility on all other layers, select this layer, and I still get the error… Any help would be much appreciated!

That’s because you’re trying to export a mesh as a STEP file, which is obviously impossible.

I assume you combined your object with some other mesh. As a result, the whole thing became a mesh.

In truth, I do not know these things are ‘obviously impossible’. I do not mean to cause issues here, I am just here to learn.

So I am understanding you’re saying is that it is now a ‘mesh’ , which cannot become a ‘STEP’ file.

To aid my learning, is there any way that a ‘mesh’ can become a printable file (like a STEP file)?

And learn you shall! :laughing: Many of us here have too. I think of mesh like the difference between Raster and vector images. Raster makes nice pictures but lousy text. Vector is lousy at picture but great at shapes and text.

My favorite way to frame things with AI? “Explain Mesh vs cad files like I am a 5 year old” :sweat_smile:

Mesh is great for organic flowing twisty shapes, but lousy at precise engineering shapes.

Shapr can import and export meshes but it limited on what it can do with them.

In order to print anything on a 3d printed it is converted to meshes.

You can see this when you zoom in on your slicer program and use the paint tool to paint colors. The triangles… you will see! Try it!

Step, IGES, Parasolid are the main vector type cad files used today. OBJ, STL and 3MF are the main triangular constructed bodies.

The reason we like the former files here is more can be done with them when editing and making changes in shapr.

Your slicer will convert them to triangles. I used to use 3MF for this but STEP is my goto for printing.

When exporting as mixed file type of meshes and CAD you must use one if the latter file types.

@Oregonerd thank you so much! That makes much more sense…

And yes, it worked when exported as a 3MF!

But I can also see the many advantages of building something from scratch… and that way you have full control and editability.

Thanks for aiding in the learning journey, much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Zoom in on your slicer and use the free hand paint tool and you really see.

Mesh is printable. Just export it as STL instead :slight_smile: