One finger navigation, odd behaviour

New here and not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

Rotating the model with a single finger works as expected from the standard view. However, if I change to, say, Left or I double click on a face (that is not parallel with the ‘bottom’) then any subsequent single finger rotation does odd and uninstictive rotation. For example, rotating the model in the opposite direction to finger movement or rotating model around an axis at 90deg to finger movement.

Really difficult to describe so hope what I describe makes some sense.

It makes it almost impossible to rotate the model how I want without double clicking the oriention cube top right every time.

Thanks

In this video, Justin shows how the different finger commands work as navigation: https://www.shapr3d.com/videotutorials/camera-navigation

Thanks Daniel. Justin’s video is exactly as I experiment when starting with the ‘standard’ view.

However, where I goes funny is if I change to, say, the Left view and then use the same single finger action to navigate, the model rotates in a different, uninstictive way.

So say I’ve drawn a cube, I then double click one of the faces so it rotates to face square on to the screen, I then draw a rectangle on that face and then try to rotate the view to the left so I can extrude the rectangle, it doesn’t rotate as expected. Moving my finger up and down the model does rotate up and down but moving left and right the model spins about an axis coming out of the screen, not left and right with my finger.

As I mentioned before it’s difficult to describe.

Ok. Been playing around a bit more.

My confusion comes from the changing rotation axis following a changed grid orientation (after picking the Left view for example or double clicking a face).

As an Architect the main model Z axis is always vertical relative to a building and so left-right ‘orbiting’ always rotates about that vertical axis. ‘Alining’ a face to the screen in SketchUp doesn’t change the main Z axis orientation and so the rotation action remains constant.

I now see that in Shapr3d I’m not just orienting a face to the screen but also altering the axis about which the left-right orbiting (finger movement) is acting.

I can overcome this by resetting the grid to the XY plane each time but might there be some logic in being able to control the ‘automatic’ behaviour of the rotation axis so it doesn’t necessarily have to change with a grid change but by request if needed to work on a particular component. I haven’t thought this through at all so there may be many reasons not to do this.

Thanks for your help and for listening.