Pocket holes for woodworking

I am trying to create pocket holes for woodworking, and I am finding it very difficult.

I have created a construction plane by sketching a line at an angle in the front view and made the plane perpendicular to the end of the line. If I then sketch a hole on that plane I can “drill” into the body. This takes a lot of time and seems very hard to repeat. Is there a better way to do this?

Bonus question: do this with two concentric circles at different depths (offsets) and draft an angle between them to form a cone shape joining the two different depth holes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Here’s a way.

@TigerMike Thanks! that seems more easily repeatable. Basically make a “drill bit” and use it to subtract from the body.

Great to hear. BTW, what is the angle of the pocket hole?
I used 20° in my example.

My jig is 15 which is likely standard. Lower is better for strength.

@Oregonerd yes, 15 deg. is the standard for pocket holes. The other constraint I am using with the sketch line is to anchor it on the midpoint of the end face, so the screw would exit the body at that point.

Edit: playing with this technique more, using the copy/offset method you get evenly spaced holes that you “drill” all at once. Which just tickles me. I am a simple person.

The processing itself can also be mirrored, copied, deleted, etc.

2 Likes