Procreate 5.2 and files from SHapr3d

I have the same problem. I am constructing architectural projects and I am trying to colorize architectural objects on an OBJ file with full and valid version of PROCREATE 5.2. NO CHANCE TO DO IT AT PRESENT. Very sad!!!

Unfortunately the issue is in Procreate. We are in touch with them, the same issue is present with every CAD system, because Procreate does not remap the UV coordinates properly that’d be necessary for this use case. Other apps like Forger do it properly.
Please report this issue to procreate, it should be relatively straightforward for them to fix it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your immediate replay. I see I have to contact PROCREATE!

Greetings

Peter Fries

Istvan could you explain “Procreate does not remap the UV coordinates”? It doesn’t make any sense, you either have UVs or you don’t.

Creating the UVs was always part of the modelling process and the modelling software’s job. I find it shocking you are not familiar with such basic concepts. Texturing needs UVs. Procreate is a painting/texturing tool, and it worked perfectly every time on my iPad with a lot of models from various softwares.

Blaming the texturing tool for not having UVs is like saying an engine without petrol is broken, since it doesn’t run.

3D CAD systems like Shapr3D are not mesh modelers, but boundary representation modelers. Due to the surface based representation of the 3D geometry, every surface has it’s own parametrization, which is the natural parametrization of the surface’s mathematical representation. Because of this, between faces there are overlapping UV regions, UV coordinates are not unique per triangle after the tessellation, and they are not normalized to a [0,1] domain. This is due to the underlying mathematical representation of CAD systems, it works like this in every CAD.
There are techniques that make it possible to automatically remap UV coords on a tessellated body, this is what most sophisticated painting apps do, like Forger that I linked. This is what Procreate should do as well, otherwise it won’t work with any CAD system.

Ps.: obviously we could also run this algorithm, and if they are not open to fix it, we will do it eventually, but unless they fix it, Procreate will have the same issue with every 3D CAD system.

Thanks for the explanation.

However, what you wrote is just the problem you have with fixing UVs derived from the brep data. I just don’t see how is that Procreate’s issue as a painting app, if you give it false input?

Both blender and keyshot has to unwrap the 3D models coming from CAD programs…

If I’m not mistaken. Neither Solidworks, Fusion 360 or Autocad has UV mapping without an add on?
Honestly I haven’t checked. But I see people have issues with revit models in Blender.

Yes, they don’t.

Sure, we could also implement UV mapping in Shapr3D, but we had no use case for it until now, partially because every rendering and painting software does this automatically, except Procreate. However considering that this issue is present with every other CAD, I believe it would make a lot of sense if Procreate would implement this.

This sure needs to be implemented asap. Let’s do this guys

Then I’d strongly recommend nudging Procreate about this. We are also nudging them.

2 Likes

Another reason why Procreate should implement this is that we will never be able to generate an ideal UV map for them, as the “ideal UV map” highly depends on their implementation details. So without knowing these details, we will not be able to generate a high quality UV map for them, that would lead to similar issues that you have now.

1 Like

Had the same result with every 3d file I’ve tried. shapr3d, nomad, forger, even downloaded straight from the web, I either get uv missing, or funky paint results. Looks like a procreate problem to me. I’ve seen a workaround of exporting to blender, but anyone know of a work around that can be done quickly and on the iPad?

1 Like

Shapr3d - Nomad Sculpt - Procreate

1 Like

Created UVs in zbrush then painted in substance painter, no uv issues.Created a usdz file in keyshot no issue then imported it into procreate 5.2 with same uv border artrifacting.It is a procreate issue.

2 Likes

Dimitris has made a good video about the subject (Nomad has gotten UVs after this though)

1 Like

Good read on some of the different 3D formats.

I’m just discovering this problem. It’s unfortunate that two years later nothing has changed. A Shapr3D to Procreate workflow would be amazing! Guess I’ll be writing to Procreate too…

1 Like

Please export the file in .USDZ format. Procreate can import that as well and there will be no problem with the texture.

Fantastic! That worked. Thanks so much for the help!