Radial brush textures

I really need to be able to create textures, specifically brushed metallic textures, in a radial (that is, ring-like) finish. A good example is the bezel of most IWC Aquatimers, where the brush stroke basically creates a dense series of concentric “scratches” on the top steel surface. I’d also be interested in a “sunburst” pattern, like the bezel of a Rolex Explorer 2, where the “scratches” radiate away from a central point.

I’ve attempted to replicate the radial brush by creating an extremely tightly clustered series of triangles, sweeping them in a circle to create a vinyl-record like body, and then subtracting them from another surface, but I get weird vinyl-record like distortions when I do that, and it’s very computationally intensive at any rate.

Adding a sunburst and radial brush pattern would be very useful for product design anywhere ring-like structures are concerned. They’re very common finishes, particularly the radial brush, because they’re quite easy for artisans and manufacturers to create.

1 Like