Scaling for multiple items

I have to scale a whole bunch of small items. I don’t see an easy way to scale more than one item equally. I mean, I have no idea how to scale one item (because I have to make sure it fits into a certain dimension) so because I have to make multiple adjustments, the ‘scaling percent’ does not show from ‘original size’ to ‘new size’, it only shows from ‘previous size’.

Which means, multiple adjustments looses the original size comparison to the new size. This then means if I have to scale 20 items, I have to do it manually for each item, multiple times, till I get them all to fit.

Is there some way to simply compare the original to one item and then ‘scale that amount’ for the next group of items?

In case that wasn’t clear, here is the current work flow.

1/ import item
2/ create a rectangle to get size to scale to
3/ scale item to fit (oh let’s save -40%)
4/ needs a bit more scaling
5/ scale item again, but now it only needs 2% adjustment(so the new scaled item is 98% of the previous item but NOT the original)
6/ Ooops, still needs a bit more scaling
…and so on.

Now I have a new item but no obvious way to reference it’s scaled size from original and now we are back to doing it all over again. Please tell me there is an easier way.

3 Likes

You can select multiple bodies before pressing the scale button to scale them all at the same time.

But I see your point, it is a little confusing with the percent size. Having a way to see original size dimensions while scaling (or something of the sort) would be nice.

1 Like

This kind of intersects with grouping bodies into assemblies. The clunky way is to use folders for an approximation of an assembly.

1 Like

You can put all of the bodies you want to scale in one folder. Kind of clunky, but selecting the folder selects all the bodies at the same time. Part groups and assemblies are in the works I hope.

1 Like

Well, it’s the best suggestion so far. Thanks. I’m trying to find some Viking runes that I can import, but every single one of them is a ‘mesh stl’ and not something Shap3r3D works well with :frowning:

I really hope scaling is improved with Shapr3D!
It’s a priority of mine for similar reasons as Dragon Don.

Also, I hope they have alignment tools (similar to those in illustrator and other 2D appa soon (for sketches and objects).

Non-uniform scaling is available for a while now, so is Align tool. Give them a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The align tool certainly is helpful, but not in the sketching mode. Many 2 D design apps allow you to select items and click a button to center vertically or horizontally. Additionally, it seems to be challenging to get elements to align precisely — Example: when zooming in, I find that some drawings are totally centered or aligned to guides and require manual adjusting. If Shapr3D would add/improve these features, I think it would save designers so much time and be a dream! (Also wish there was a temporary grouping that could be ungrouped (the folders work to some degree but are clunky). Group/Ungroup OR Union/UnUnion would be awesome.

Keep up the good work to make Shapr3D better!
Thanks. :+1:

In CAD applications this is done by using constraints: https://support.shapr3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001416214-What-are-constraints-How-do-I-use-them-