Snapping Lines To Splines

Hello All,
I am Shapr3D newbee following a Toaster tutorial:
Toaster Tutorial 1

In the video @17:03, the Pro links a horizontal line to a Spline, and calls it “gluing”.

From that point, he can make the organic spline Snap to wherever he wants, i.e., Grid Lines. That is a very important move (for me).
The problem is that I cannot do it and I have tried it 50 times. I have rebuilt my model 3 times. I have watched over and over and over. I even sacrificed a bag of Gummy Bears to the Software Gods, but it didn’t help.
I use a Mac Air M1 with a Logitech MX-3 3D mouse, running Shapr Version 5.240.0 (4221).

I wish someone could help me understand why I cannot make this Line-Spline Snap together. I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hey @Steelboss and welcome to our community.

What our instructor means at “gluing” the end if the line to the spline is actually a constraint called “Coincident”. You can achieve this by clicking and dragging the end of the line to the spline, or by manually setting the constraint.

To manually set the constraint:

First, make sure everything is deselected in the sketch.

1. Try selecting the spline first by clicking on it,
  2. While holding the Shift button, click on the end of the line.
  3. If you have done this correctly, there should be the Coincident constraint available on the right. Click on it for the line to snap on the spline.

Let me know how that went! :slight_smile:

Thank You very much, I will try again. Also, I am an American working in China. I tried to find the User Manual, but it is not available. Is there any link I can download? I have a VPN if required.
Thanks!
Tony

Tony, it’s built into Shapr3D. Go the Learn Tab at the bottom. Then tap on the Manual tab at the top. Then tap on topics, or search for a topic. (Well it may still be a web page, but I don’t think you’ll need a VPN in China). I’ve spend lots of time in Shenzhen, Beijing, Hong Kong, and a few other cities.

Hi All,
I have tried the instructions from @Sebestyen, but that did not work. I have searched endlessly for the Mac Manual, but I cannot find it. The “manual” link from the support page cannot be opened here.
I have spent hours and hours over weeks trying to get my lines to snap. This is critical because without snapping, locating the gridlines is impossible. The more I zoom in, the more off the line I am and this effectively stops me. I cannot make any progress. Is there anyone who can offer me clear instructions? There must be someone who knows.
I would appreciate any and all help.
Tony

Here is another attempt tonight (Beijing Time).
I have spent about 30 minutes trying everything, but I cannot snap the spline to the line to drag it onto the grid. I am trying to snap/glue Spline 1 onto line 2 using Control 3. Actually I tried other ways, too. I can move the spline, but it will not snap to anything.

Sebestyen,
Can you please try to help me get past this issue? I am really getting frustrated about the spline snapping issue. I have paid for the software, but I need some help and I cannot access the manual.
You can read the thread here:

I use Sketchup, Rhino7, Photoshop, Powerpoint. These all have smooth snapping. But I cannot get Shapr3D to Spline-snap/glue to other lines so I can get things on grid.
This is probably a 1-second fix, but I don’t know what. I am weeks behind in my project because of this. I can call you, Zoom, whatever, I just need to sort this our.

Thanks Tony

Hey Tony,

As @McD mentioned, we have a huge article base over the internet. Take a look at it here: Shapr3D Help for Mac

After seeing your screenshot, it seems that you are trying to do is to snap the spline control point onto the line Please try snapping the non-locked end of Line 2 to Spline 1, this is the presented method in the tutorial video.

Also went ahead and sent you a message to sort things out, please check your discourse inbox :slight_smile:

@Sebestyen

Sir, can you give me any comment on this? I would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks!
Tony