Suddenly unable to move sketch

After moving sketches thousands of times in the Windows version, suddenly today I am unable to move them. If I attempt to do that, I receive this error message: “Locked or constrained sketch parts can’t be moved.”

There is no obvious way to remove that lock/constraint; there is no symbol associated with it that I can click to unlock, and the constraint menu is entirely grayed out. Frustrating, and one of the needless “features” in Shapr3D that serves no useful function other than making work with it more difficult than it should be.

A quick tip to Shapr3D programmers: endeavor to make everything as user-friendly as possible. In this case, and others like it, whenever some message is generated, always provide a clear-cut way to circumvent it. For example, say “Locked or constrained sketch parts can’t be moved. To remove the lock/constraint, do …,” then explain what needs to be done.

To understand my frustration in how Shapr3D wastes time needlessly (IMHO), I will explain why I created the sketch plane today. I had a hole in an existing body and wished to create a hexagonal pocket on one face of the body to hold a recessed bolt head. If Shapr3D made CAD easy, I could immediately begin sketching on the plane with the sketch cognizant of the axis of the existing hole (for the bolt, in this case), but of the thousands of times I’ve done this or related operations, the program pretends as if it has absolutely zero knowledge of what is on the plane. Even if I previously create an axis for the hole, Shapr3D acts as if it has zero knowledge of the axis, refusing to snap to it. So, to work around these limitations, what I previously did was:

1. Create a plane on the surface I want to sketch on.
  2. Move that plane out some distance (say, 20 mm).
  3. Highlight the plane on the surface I want to sketch on.
  4. Project that surface onto the new created plane.
  5. Delete the plane.
  6. Select the newly created sketch, then move it back to the original surface I want to sketch on (back 20 mm, in this case).

After all that rigmarole, THEN I can finally sketch with the sketch cognizant of the hole (in this case) center so I can precisely align to it. Now imagine doing this thousands of times — understand the frustration?

Clearly something has changed, at least on my copy of Shapr3D. Changes are usually beneficial but too often a giant step in the wrong direction, and usually with users not being notified of the changes and how to adapt to them. I could write a book on that subject, but here are a few more: I can no longer import to the current project with “CTRL-SHIFT-I,” nor can I rename projects within them as I previously did many times.

I appreciate the ongoing effort to add new functionality to Shapr3D, but it seems that this is prioritized over thoroughly testing and perfecting what we now have.

One BIG chronic problem is that Shapr3D is glacially slow; even if it is the only program running on my computer, I often must press keys or click the mouse two, three, or more times until the program responds. I am not being facetious about this, but the program is so slow that I often wonder if all of the data crunching occurs on my computer or if it is essentially acting as a dumb terminal with every keystroke and mouse click sent to Europe for processing, then eventually making its way back across the Atlantic Ocean. I’ve used other CAD programs, all of which respond instantly with no obvious lag time whatsoever.

For the geniuses who thoroughly understand Shapr3D, I would sincerely appreciate your input on solving today’s frustration (inability to move the sketch plane) as well as the others. Thank you!

1 Like

In fairness to Shapr3D, for many, many months now, literally the first thing on the upper left of the home screen (Recent Projects) every time Shapr3D is opened is an invitation to explore the new features of parametric history.

However, in a nutshell, almost everything can be done the same as always if you don’t want or need the history features.

The only major (and necessary) exception is the way that sketch planes are handled, and even that is relatively minor in terms of the actual amount of effort and number of steps involved. Although overcoming old habits and muscle memory can be a little challenging :roll_eyes:.

Now, multiple, independent sketch planes are available in the exact same spatial plane, by default. This is a feature which has been requested by many people for many years to allow a lot more flexibility and power. So, thanks Shapr3D.

But, as implemented, it both enables and is required for the history feature. The big (and for some users, annoying) change is that sketches can no longer be deleted and must be hidden instead. Not really a big deal in terms of effort required, but perhaps a little annoying for those who feel it clutters the Item List (many of us just move everything to a separate folder for sketches).

The main potential “gotcha” is that sketches are automatically hidden after the first extrusion — actually a convenience IMHO, but possibly confusing until you get used to it. In any event, if you need or want to use an earlier sketch, just make it visible again in the Items List. It is pretty easy to identify which one you want by toggling visibility, or even better, just rename the important ones.

Regarding constraints, you may want to turn off “auto-constraints” and just manually apply the ones you find useful. For existing constraints, you can select each icon (the tiny ones in the sketch near the associated element) and use the delete button (now conveniently labeled “Delete Constrains”).

With these relatively minor changes (once you get used to them LOL), you can continue to use Shapr the same as always.

However, if you can make time to learn how to use the history features (perhaps a little bit at a time), I’m fairly certain that the time invested will be paid back many times over.

3 Likes

Hi @alpine

I agree with @Steve, the changes are worth the benefits when you have learnt to use them, which is always a bit challenging at first to change our habbits.
Please, have a look at the following link to get an insight of what’s new.

The main changes regarding your request:

• everything you do from sketches is linked to the sketch, (extrusion, revolve, etc) so when you modify the sketch, the changes are reflected to the bodies
  • if you delete a sketch, it also delete everything that was created from the sketch
  • projected sketches are no longer editable as they always reflect the item that were projected at the time the projection was done, but
  • copy of projection and copy of ketches are always editable, because
  • copy of a sketch is not linked to the source sketch, so if you delete the original sketch it does not affect the copy version

More specifically for your need:

• you can directly sketch and extrude on any planar surface. To get the center of the circle, use the arc tool, it will snap to the edge of the hole and will gives you the center of the hole (video 01)

• you can project the edge of the hole directly on the surface, it will create a new sketch with the violet line (not editable) but you can directly draw the hexagone on this new sketch (video 02)

• you can project on an offset plane and then copy the sketch to go back to the face; you can delete first sketch and plane (video 03)

• you can create an axis along the hole, create a plane perpendicular to this axis (useful when the initial body does not have a planar face), and then project onto this plane (video 04)

Video 01

Video 02

Video 03

Video 04

5 Likes

@alpine ,

Sorry, I didn’t have time to make a video earlier, but @PEC has 4 great suggestions above which could be used in a number of situations, but in many situations, the simplest (and the reason saving sketches is so useful) is to simply reuse the sketch where you created the original geometry you need to enhance.

Just select the sketch and add whatever is needed. Then extrude or whatever !!

If you really want to be impressed, try moving one of the circles (while in sketch mode). This is great if you later need to change a diameter or relocate slightly, etc. This is also a perfect example of where some constraints can be very useful, e.g. “free to move but on a centerline”, “concentric circles”, etc.

This really only scratches the surface of the power that is now available, and it explains the almost universal reaction of those of us who have made the jump – “come on in, the water’s fine.”

4 Likes