SVG file exports for Shaper Origin

Hi!

Thank you for your fast feedback.

1. We could not reproduce this issue, and the measurements seem correct. Could you share an example shapr workspace and exported SVG?

2. We used this increased precision to get nice curves, but how Shaper Origin handles it is very unfortunate. We will improve this.

3. Could you share an example for this, too? I don’t see any outer rectangle in my exports.

Hi,
:slight_smile:
The outer rectangle you can see in the svg attached and the workspace.

Examples.zip (4.6 KB)

Screencast:

Another issue for the Shaper Origin: Unclosed paths… the rectangle I exported consists of four straight lines, not a closed rectangle. This is a showstopper for the Shaper Origin… A shape (which it is not as of now) like this rectangle won’t be good for anything than engraving the four lines as a line, no outside or inside routing possible.
Screencast:

So this is export only? Are we eventually going to get SVG import?

Yes. Yes. We have it on the roadmap.

Can my issues be related to me being on standard tier?

SVG export works the same way in Standard and Business.

Thank you for the files and videos, it helps a lot. I checked your issues:

Illustrator assumes that the SVG px is defined with 72dpi, but we use 96dpi, as it is the standard for laser cutters and Inkspace. That’s why you experience the scaling (96/72 = 1.3333). We will figure out something to improve this, but until that, downscaling in Illustrator to 75% is the only workaround.

The outer rectangle is indeed the SVG bounding box. It is the clipping rectangle, and should not be imported as sketches. It seems correct in other apps.

Paths: yes, the sketches are independent, and did not form a path. With the polyline option, it does. We will improve this, and the polyline curve resolution, too.

3 Likes

I’ll keep em comming :wink:

The polyline option does almost close it as a path, but see this from Illustrator, the last corner of this one isn’t “closed”:

1 Like

Appreciate yall. Hopefully get my first shaper cut in tonight.

I am having the same issue when exporting svg into sheetcam. From 16 inches to 19.2

I had the same problem with measurement. A measurement of 30mm turned out as a 40mm

1 Like

Shapr3d uses 96 dpi and sheetcam uses 90 dpi. 90/96 is 0.9375. Use that as your scale when importing into sheetcam. .9375:1

If you use illustrator, it uses 72dpi. You can import into sheetcam at 1.25:1 scale to get correct dimensions.

1 Like

Hi, is there any news on this supject. Would be very nice to use Shapr3D and shaper origin without the detour

1 Like

Hi @Mike.D ,

We have added new options to the SVG export with 5.30. You can now set the DPI setting and change the resolution of the SVG file in case Origin cannot process it. This is out for iOS and MacOS at the time being, Windows will come a little bit later. Give it a try and let us know how you like it.

2 Likes

Wow this is great. Thanks for the quick reply

I only mention this so you don’t waste as much time as i did trying to figure out what was wrong.

This is on an ipad pro and do not know if it occurs on other platforms

Be aware that the software is buggy for .svg export, some lines are not connected so you will need to post process it in a different program to connect the lines.

I read were “if” there is a bug it will be fixed….

Hi, have you contacted our support@shapr3d.com team? Can you please share the problematic workspace? Does this occur always or only with one specific workspace?

Hi Alexander
It would be nice if you would be able to have your own dedicated dpi. I mean a way to set your dpi as a custom setting and that it will stay. Now we have to set the dpi every single time
Thanks.

Hi! What should I set dpi to when saving an svg in Shapr3D to be exported to shaper origin?

Hi! What should I set dpi to when saving an svg in Shapr3D to be exported to shaper origin? TIA

Hi,

If you export directly to the Origin then set the DPI to 72, if you intend to use a different software in between then make sure to check if you need to use 72/90/96 depending on the software.