SVG file exports for Shaper Origin

August 16th is the target release date.

Any update?

Our fingers are shaking over the release button.

2 Likes

mah index finger is now a nub from App Store refresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™ve run into some issues in the last minute but in 24h it will be out :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

How we looking? Iā€™ve got a project ready to export and start cutting on the shaper.

@Tibi_Shapr3D promised me that tomorrow it will be actually released. Iā€™ll just stand next to him tomorrow meaningfully staring at his screen until this is out.

4 Likes

Guys just Chill.
Better fully tested and working perfectly, than released with issues to meet a specific date.
Having worked as a developer most of my adult life, trust me, good software takes time to get right.
A bit disappointed but ultimately delighted is fine with me, my only ding is promising a specific date. Recipe for some disappointment if itā€™s not met.

2 Likes

Sometimes ā€œwe createā€ ā€œour own heartbreaksā€ through expectations? šŸ§˜šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

1 Like

4.9 is live, and with it SVG Export.

I wrote a bit more about the current release here SVG Export local alternative - #9 by Seb_Shapr3D

@Kennychuck, looking forward to see what you create :wink:

@Fillister thank you so much for your patience, I know you have been waiting a long time for this.

@Romulus369 :laughing: I found that to be true in my life.

3 Likes

Hi all,
Made my first SVG export, and it has a way to go I think.

First thoughts:

1. Measurements are incorrect in exported file - Iā€™ve drawn a shape which is 19mm on one side, when exported and opened in illustrator itā€™s 25.333mm. (Tried more exports, seems like itā€™s scaled 133.335-ish %)

2. That same shape has one corner beveled, and in export I checked the polyline option. This curved corner now consist of 200-ish points for a curve with a radius of only 6mm. For Shaper Origin, this will end up being too many anchor points. The drawing will end up being way to point-heavy, making the Shaper Origin shoke on it - if the complete drawing is complex enough that is.

3. The outer rectangle being exported might be the base plane - would be nice to be able to exclude it :slight_smile:

But itā€™s pretty damn close to being usefull :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!

Thank you for your fast feedback.

1. We could not reproduce this issue, and the measurements seem correct. Could you share an example shapr workspace and exported SVG?

2. We used this increased precision to get nice curves, but how Shaper Origin handles it is very unfortunate. We will improve this.

3. Could you share an example for this, too? I donā€™t see any outer rectangle in my exports.

Hi,
:slight_smile:
The outer rectangle you can see in the svg attached and the workspace.

Examples.zip (4.6 KB)

Screencast:

ļ»æļ»æ
Another issue for the Shaper Origin: Unclosed pathsā€¦ the rectangle I exported consists of four straight lines, not a closed rectangle. This is a showstopper for the Shaper Originā€¦ A shape (which it is not as of now) like this rectangle wonā€™t be good for anything than engraving the four lines as a line, no outside or inside routing possible.
Screencast:

So this is export only? Are we eventually going to get SVG import?

Yes. Yes. We have it on the roadmap.

Can my issues be related to me being on standard tier?

SVG export works the same way in Standard and Business.

Thank you for the files and videos, it helps a lot. I checked your issues:

Illustrator assumes that the SVG px is defined with 72dpi, but we use 96dpi, as it is the standard for laser cutters and Inkspace. Thatā€™s why you experience the scaling (96/72 = 1.3333). We will figure out something to improve this, but until that, downscaling in Illustrator to 75% is the only workaround.

The outer rectangle is indeed the SVG bounding box. It is the clipping rectangle, and should not be imported as sketches. It seems correct in other apps.

Paths: yes, the sketches are independent, and did not form a path. With the polyline option, it does. We will improve this, and the polyline curve resolution, too.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll keep em comming :wink:

The polyline option does almost close it as a path, but see this from Illustrator, the last corner of this one isnā€™t ā€œclosedā€:

1 Like

Appreciate yall. Hopefully get my first shaper cut in tonight.

I am having the same issue when exporting svg into sheetcam. From 16 inches to 19.2