Technique to hexagonal birdhouse?

See the attached image for a 6 sided birdhouse. It took a lot of complicated steps to create it. I think there must be a better way of doing it. Here’s what I did:

I created a hexagon on the bottom. I then created a smaller and larger one also on the “bottom”. And a larger one. Then with some difficulty I raised the larger one to a middle height and the smallest to a top height. And then I used the loft command to create all six sides at once. But now, if I want to change the ratio of heights between the three hexagons, I dont know how to do that. And if I want to make a nice round porthole on each of the six sides, I don’t know how to do that either.

So what’s the best/right way to create this shape so I can tweak it’s parameters after the fact?

2 Likes

Draw a hex. Extrude it upward. Select the top face and use the scale tool to make it bigger. Select the bigger top hex face and choose “add plane”. Select the 6 sides of the top hex and use the project tool to project them to the new plane. Make the bottom body invisible. Extrude the projected hex to the desired height. Use the scale tool to shrink the top face of it. Make the bottom body visible. Then select both bodies and use the Boolean add tool. Wallah.

3 Likes