Thread Tool

+1, this is the only feature stopping me from using this software.

1 Like

I have taken to modelling some standard geometries such as male and female thread forms that I import into my working model, position with the move tool and then subtract from the bolt or hole that I need a thread on. Itā€™s about as convenient as I can make itā€¦ although, being able to drive the creation of those standard geometries from a spreadsheet/table would be super.
Also, I see people talking about 3d printing threadsā€¦ I 3d print threads and they would not normally fit together very well when 3d printed. However, I own a few taps and dies that I use to clean up the threads before assemblyā€¦ works a treat. You can even screw a 3d printed male thread into a nut of the right size, or screw in a bolt of the right size to a 3d printed female thread and it cleans them up nicely. That way you can screw a male and female 3d printed threads together down to quite small sizes.

1 Like

@Alexander_P
Iā€™m a beginner 3D printing enthusiast and am trying turn this into an business down the road. Right now I am looking at making a decision between Fusion 360 and Shapr3D.

Even though the free version of Fusion would be more then enough I would be willing to pay for Shapr3D because itā€™s just so intuitive and I can work on my iPad.

So I am going through your Youtube channel and found a video on threads and I was stumped that itā€™s so complicated - everything BUT intuitive.

So, itā€™s Christmas now, autumn has long passed, are there any updates on this feature?

BTW, I only signed up for this forum so I can participate in this very discussion. Itā€™s THAT important.

2 Likes

Hi Max,

Welcome to our community. Sometimes it happens that the priorities shift within a company and we are no exception to that. We are working on few big milestones we would like to reach before we will be able to add new modeling tools, like threads. However threads and (also holes) are still on our radar and will be a very import addition to Shapr3D.

Can you elaborate more on your use case? What are you using threads for today, how often do you import vs model vs annotate this information?

3 Likes

Glad to see part of the Shapr3d team back on here again replying to this topic of threads. As many have posted here - we struggle with using Shapr3d as our sole, go-to, single design software vs. Fusion for various reasons. However, for me, another vote for getting an intuitive dedicated thread tool is a requirement. Use cases? How can we possibly list every project thatā€™s required a threaded application?
There are so many. One of them I attempted but spent needless hours on (vs just using Fusion) was a garbage chute for a boat cup holder. Top screwed into bottom half. Thereā€™s one. Looking back over the years Iā€™d say there were at least 5 other products I made that it took so much time and frustration with Shapr3d on threads that I gave up. BUT - other than that - Shapr3d has ONE huge advantage- I can design offline ON my iPad.
So please make Shapr3d whole and give us the thread tool. Youā€™ve done so much already- why drag the feet on this one??

2 Likes

Do you need modeled or cosmetic threads?

1 Like

Absolutely molded threads, extremely useful in additive manufacturing modeling which is the majority of what I use shapr for.

4 Likes

For example, most of the time I need to 3D print two halves of a product that has male threads on one & female threads on the other.
So, I need whatever will accomplish that. I donā€™t need illustrative (which I am assuming is cosmetic?). I have to design the parts - have the threads match up and have enough clearance to spin together easily. Obviously would need some tolerance settings to accomplish that.

Thanks
Sam

4 Likes

Yep - Iā€™ve been waiting for this since Shapr3D was released. Just so itā€™s perfectly clear, and because I donā€™t know what modeled vs cosmetic threads are, I need to connect pieces together that are 3D printed. So, I need to create large pieces that screw together and be able to adjust tolerances. Iā€™ve been doing this in Fusion360, but having it natively here would be 100% preferred. Importing modeled pieces from Fusion360 works but often leaves my piece, when combined, unable to be further edited.

Not trying to pile on butā€¦ I LOVED the idea of being able to design using my iPad. I am a long-time Fusion 360 (paid) user. I design all kinds of small mechanical parts for my electrical projects. My problem is I spend a ton of time on airplanes and away from my computer so I wanted to use that time to design. I purchased the Shapr3D Pro version based on what I was able to see from other users and the fact that it is parametric-based modeling. It has been the perfect solution for me EXCEPT I SPEND WAY TO MUCH EFFORT CREATING THREADS! Coming from the Fusion 360 world, I thought every CAD software would be able to create threads in this simple easy way. Select a column and select the thread tool. Fusion doesnā€™t have an easy way to create clearances for 3D-printed parts but at least you can create the thread. Maybe when you do create a ā€œFusion 360ā€ like feature you can add the ability to adjust clearance? Thanks!

1 Like

Adding +1 on threads ā€¦ I love how Shaprd3D is easy to use compared to Inventor, but this is a real pain. Yes you can import a STEP file and make a workaround, but please prioritize this :slight_smile: Thanks!

When this tool is released, is it going to be possible for threads/spirals to fallow curves? Like a sweeped thread

Thanks!

Iā€™ve been using Shapr3D since early 2018 and asked for an easy thread tool ever since. Shapr has also been giving me the runaround ever since. Promising that it would come soon. This is actually one of the most basic features for an engineer. How can adding ā€˜improved foldersā€™ and ā€˜visualizationā€™ be of more concern? Are you guys actually engineers yourselves? Or are you only interested in bean bag chair designers? Either add this tool, or stop making promises.

2 Likes

This is whatā€™s stopping me from using Shapr as my primary CAD program. Almost every single part my company produces will have threads, either external or internal or both. This is a MUST HAVE for me to use Shapr. Right now, Shapr is just a ā€œwell, itā€™s kinda coolā€ program I use on the side

1 Like

+1 from me.
My use case is a bit different as many of my drawings are designed for patent literature.

In the U.S. and internationally it is required to visually show any feature which is claimed, in the drawings. Many times this will include threads.

This means that unlike design for manufacturing, where thread size tolerances etc can be specified in a drawing which DOES NOT show the threads visual representation, I have to actively design and draw every thread on every variation in every drawing (or copy in thread objects designed separately).

In my latest project this has amounted to approximately 25% more hours drawing threads, or placing imported threads, which degrades my ability to be competitive on price.

For my use case the thread size and pitch are not a requirement, but would be nice to have, only a visually recognizable representation of the hole or shaft having threads.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

I actually think the Fusion360 system for threads is brilliant and the gold standard. If Shapr3D had this Iā€™d be really happy.

+1 For thread tool. Please and thank you.

Hi Istvan, can you give us any information on when we will get this feature?
As far as I can tell, this seems to be a very hot topic.
Thank you!
BR

Hi @Jamal , I canā€™t give you an exact estimate. Cosmetic threads are planned for later this year, we donā€™t have geometric threads on the roadmap at the moment.

Thank you for your reply.
I think as 3D printing becomes more common, geomatric threads will also become very important in the future.
But it is good to hear that we will get a tool with which we can display threads in a simple way.
BR

2 Likes