Thread Tool

I’ve been watching this discussion for quite some time and am very very perplexed why Shapr3d is so hesitant to place this feature as a priority.
It is the SINGLE greatest disadvantage for so many of us when considering Shapr3d Vs. Solidworks vs. Fusion.
They’ve come so far! So bizarre that they are holding back on such an awesome feature that would undoubtedly spike their subscription rate UPWARDS.

I understand that for your use case threads are important. We receive thousands of feature requests every month, and we are working hard to ship as many features as possible.

4 Likes

We love you guys for it. Now feet back in the fire! :disguised_face:

ouch. That’s a long way off then! but hey I guess they can be made manually so not the end of the world. It’s just I’ll have to learn how to do that.

Another pro user requiring this function, modelled threads. For 3d printing prototypes & final parts it’s a generic requirement for 3d design software. Even Tinkercad has easier threads. Would have saved me days having an accurate tool. I’ve also changed some designs away from threads simply due to the time & hassle and sacrificed usability & design, not ideal. Sharpr is fantastic, this would put the icing on the cake.

I have tried Freecad, Fusion360, and SOLIDWORKS before settling on Shapr3d. For my workflow I can create almost any object I need in minutes so this is my main jam. I am definitely a fan!! But…I still use fusion for threads.

The fix!!!:
My idea to create super simple menu button, with no math and no screwheads:

Call it threads:
set a thread type; Have M3-M7 standard threads in the library of objects to start with.
Also set a length.

So 2 perimeters.

You can library 5x20 sizes so create a library of 100 objects to start with.

This would make a great start and the booleans can solve most other problems.

Later:
Add a % to oversize or undersize
Then add more standard screw threads to the library.
Add more sizes to the library

Alternatively:

If you want the sexy algorithmic way have a setting similar to “pattern”, so you can have a perimeter that is similar to extrude where you “pull” or “push” the screw, but there is 3 boxes that show up to edit such as “size”, “pitch” and “scale”(optional to oversize or undersize for 3d printing etc…)

Alternative Universe: just add “libraries” by shapr3d with different screw sizes that can be updated as before, but also other models that can be resized such as a hexagon or star pattern etc… that can be updated regularly, or a personal library of step files that a customer can build with stls themselves to import and resize quickly.

2 Likes

+1 for this feature.

1 Like

I’ve set up some sketch constraints for M threads which works very well. It’s easy to revolve when you set the pitch and with a chamfer the threads work perfectly in a 3D print. You can also set the tolerance in the sketch. Hopefully this helps someone.
M Threads.shapr (8.9 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks swebal, that is very useful.

Even Tinker CAD can create threads easily. Shapr3d, we need this feature.

4 Likes

+1 For both anotation and modelled thread for 3d printing.

1 Like

hopefully soon since its been a hot minute and we all are waiting. :slight_smile:

anything? It’s been a fair bit of time.