Trouble creating sketch from imported .stp file

I’m a new user having difficulty creating a Sketch from an imported .stp file from Fusion 360. No matter what I do, the Projected Sketch isn’t a closed object, and I’m not familiar enough with Shapr3d to figure out how to get past this.

I’ve created a screen recording on Loom.

• Is this just a bad imported file?
  • Is it new user ignorance on tool use?
  • Can this new sketch be closed manually? If so, what would be the steps to take?

Help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Start from copying the projected sketch. That gives you regular sketch which you will be able to edit.
If you can share this step file I will take a closer look at it.

@Xdrakosha, much appreciated. I will try a copy of the sketch a bit later on today.

I am not able to upload the file — too new of a user on this site :frowning:

You can send it to this email shapr3d@tsbl.net

Very strange but I don’t have this issue

Also on iPad

email sent, thanks😎

tried a copy of the sketch. closed it (I thought)

when attempting to Extrude the closed copy, received …”can’t be extruded because it would create a non-manifold body”

That’s normal. Just read about non-manifold in wikipedia :slight_smile: and remove all thin places on sketch. Shapr3D rejects to produce bodies with this issue.

What is strange, that I don’t have these problems at all with the same step file.

Did you modify imported object before doing projection? Maybe scaled it?

I did move the body after import because it was placed way off in left field some how, but I didn’t modify it.

Odd, but actually very interesting you dont have the issue. Maybe I will create a new drawing from the exported file I sent you. Maybe the export from S3D corrected something.

Will look at this a bit later when I get back home.

Thanks for the excellent feedback :blush:

1 Like

Manually deleted part of the sketch to emulate your case.

1 Like

That is so helpful to watch how you adjusted the connection point to remove that improperly closed connection!

I struggled for hours, and in a few minutes of instruction, you demonstrated how to correct that particular issue. Most Excellent!!!

…and, even more awesome is, that I created a new drawing by importing the step file I re-exported from S3D, and this cleared up the original issue — just like it had worked for you as well!

I am very grateful for your help and support!!! A BIG Thank you !!: :slight_smile:

2 Likes